CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician
18188794

I have a 2004 Dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9 L HO Turbo diesel.

I have a 2004 Dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9 L HO Turbo diesel. I have a cold air intake, a Bully dog PMT, and I have a straight factory pipe turbo back.... About 6 months ago I had a fuel code on my PMT diagnostics and the code was (P0148 fuel delivery error) and another that was ( P1757 Governor pressure above 3 PSI when request is 0 PSI)....I was having problems passing drivers. If I was doing 45 -50 mph and tride to pass it seemed to not want to go! I cleared the codes and ran some fuel addatives in it. The fuel code has not returned but the Governor one has!.....The passing problem went away. But now I have a new issue. When trying to start the truck I have a good bit of white smoke and trouble starting it untill I give the accelerator a little tap then a little black smoke and it runs fine. I have had this problem the last few days, but today it started rite up. I spoke with a few people and some say dirty injectors and the others say maybe glow plugs are relays. Help me please!?
The most common cause of a code P0148 is a restricted fuel filter, this could also cause the smoke. If you have not changed the fuel filter recently you need to change this first. The P1757 code is caused by either a bad governor transducer, or governor solenoid. The easiest thing to do is to replace both of them, but if you don't mind potentially removing the transmission pan twice you can try changing just the governor pressure transducer first, it is the more likely failed component. FYI, Cummins engines do not have glow plugs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I spoke with a transmission shop in town and they said that normaly if its the governor in the transmission that it would get stuck in like 3rd gear and not shift at all. Mine shifts threw all 4 with no problem. They said it may be something eles!
Well, I suppose you can believe your "transmission shop", or someone who is a factory certified and trained Dodge Master Technician, who works exclusively on Dodge, Chrylser and Jeep products, and sees and corrects problems like yours every day. My answer is still the same: The most common cause of a code P0148 is a restricted fuel filter, this could also cause the smoke. If you have not changed the fuel filter recently you need to change this first. The P1757 code is caused by either a bad governor transducer, or governor solenoid. The easiest thing to do is to replace both of them, but if you don't mind potentially removing the transmission pan twice you can try changing just the governor pressure transducer first, it is the more likely failed component. FYI, Cummins engines do not have glow plugs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok so A. I have changed the fuel filter about 7k miles back. B. Would running farm fuel have anything to do with it? I put the bullydog pmt back to stock and it was ok for a little while but when I put it back to performance thats when I started having the white smoke and starting issues. Should I remove the PMT? in your opinon! C. How hard is it to change the two in the transmission, do you have to remove the valve body for ethier of them? do you recomend having this done at a shop are can the shade tree machanic (myself) handle it? Thanks Mike

There is nothing inherently wrong with running farm fuel, however in my experience farm fuel tanks and dispensing systems are not kept as clean as they should be, which leads to more dirt being introduced in to the fuel. Your fuel filter could definitely become plugged in 7000 miles, especially running a fuel with more dirt then usual. You need to replace the fuel filter before doing anything else about the white smoke condition. As far as the transmission, you should be able to replace the governor transducer and solenoid, as long as you are fairly handy with tools. You have to remove the transmission pan, but not the valve body. Once you purchase the parts and remove the pan, you will be able to see them and change them easily.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks I will make the changes you have recommened. Is there anything eles you would change in the transmission while I have the pan removed?
It would be a good idea to change the filter while you have the pan off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok So how many quarts do I need and should I get the parts from a dealer, or is aftermarket from your local parts store just as good?
I would recommend getting everything except the fluid from the dealer. You can get the fluid at walmart or most larger auto parts stores. The fluid will be cheaper and it is the same, just make sure that it meets Chrysler ATF+4 specification. The other parts will be more expensive at the dealer also, but they are of better quality and worth the extra cost. You will need 5-6 quarts, as long as you do not leave the pan off overnight. If you leave the pan off for an extended period of time, more fluid will drain out.