jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service
16831211

2008 dodge avenger: the rear brake shoes and drums

Customer Question

is there a book showing step by step procedure on how to change the rear brake shoes and drums on a 2008 dodge avenger
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with Dodge question.

REMOVAL

NOTE: Before proceeding, (Refer to 05 - Brakes - Warning) (Refer to 05 - Brakes - Caution) .

NOTE: Make sure parking brake is in "released" position before raising vehicle.
1.Raise and support the vehicle. (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure)

NOTE: Perform Step #2 through Step #16 on each side of the vehicle to complete shoe set removal. It may be easier to install the new components on the first side of the vehicle before disassembling the opposite side so it may be used as a reference guide for proper installation.

2.Remove the wheel mounting nuts (3), then the rear tire and wheel assembly.

3.Remove the brake drum (4). (Refer to 05 - Brakes/Hydraulic/Mechanical/DRUM, Brake - Removal)

4.Remove the lower shoe spring (3).
5.Compress and remove the hold-down spring (4) retaining the rear shoe to the support plate.

6.Pull the rear shoe (4) away from the anchor (3) allowing better access to the parking brake cable (2) connection at the lever (1).

7.Compress the cable return spring, then remove the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever.

8.Compress and remove the hold-down spring (2) retaining the front shoe to the support plate.

9.Remove both brake shoes from the wheel cylinder.
10.Remove both shoes and remaining parts as an assembly (3) through the opening between the wheel cylinder (1) and support plate hub and bearing.

11.Place the shoe assembly outboard-side-up on a flat surface.
12.Remove the adjuster spring (2) from the leading shoe (3) and the lever pawl (1).
13.Remove the lever pawl (1) from the pivot on the rear shoe (5).

14.Flip the shoe assembly over to show the inboard side.
15.Remove the upper shoe return spring (1).
16.Remove the adjuster (5) from the shoes and parking brake lever (2).

INSTALLATION

NOTE: Perform Step #1 through Step #21 on each side of vehicle to complete shoe set installation, then proceed to Step #22 .

1.Lubricate shoe contact areas on support plate and anchor using Mopar® Brake Lubricant or equivalent.
2.Lubricate the adjuster screw threads with Mopar® Brake Lubricant or equivalent. Turn adjuster wheel in until it is completely seated.

NOTE: Right side drum brake shown. Left side is a mirror image.
3.Place one front shoe (6) and one rear shoe (3) inboard-side-up on a flat surface. (rear shoe has parking brake lever attached to it).
4.Install the adjuster (5), adjuster wheel toward the rear, between the two brake shoes. Make sure the wide notch in the rear fork aligns with the parking brake lever (2).
5.Install the upper return spring (1) as shown.

6.Flip the shoe assembly over to show the outboard side.
7.Install the lever pawl (1) onto the pivot located on the rear shoe (5).
8.Install the adjuster spring (2) between the front shoe (3) and the lever pawl (1).

9.Install the pre-assembled brake shoe assembly (3) through the opening between the wheel cylinder (1) and support plate hub and bearing.

10.Insert the upper tips of the brake shoes into the grooves of the wheel cylinder (1) pistons.
11.Position the bottom of the front shoe against the anchor pin (5).
12.Install a shoe hold-down pin from the rear, through the support plate and the front shoe.
13.Compress and install the hold-down spring (2) retaining the front shoe to the support plate.

14.Compress the parking brake cable return spring, then carefully install the cable onto the parking brake lever. Release the spring guiding it beneath the retaining tab on the lever.

15.Position the bottom of the rear shoe against the anchor pin (5).
16.Install a shoe hold-down pin from the rear, through the support plate and the rear shoe.
17.Compress and install the hold-down spring (4) retaining the rear shoe to the support plate.
18.Install the lower shoe spring (3).

19.Adjust the brake shoes to the drum diameter using a brake shoe gauge. (Refer to 05 - Brakes/Hydraulic/Mechanical/SHOES, Brake - Adjustments)

20.Install the brake drum (4). (Refer to 05 - Brakes/Hydraulic/Mechanical/DRUM, Brake - Installation)

21.Install tire and wheel assembly (1) (Refer to 22 - Tires and Wheels - Installation) . Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).
22.Slowly rotate both rear wheels and verify that the brake drums lightly drag on the shoes. Further adjustments may be done using the adjustment procedure as necessary. (Refer to 05 - Brakes/Hydraulic/Mechanical/SHOES, Brake - Adjustments)
23.Lower the vehicle.
24.Road test vehicle stopping in both forward and reverse directions. The automatic-adjuster will continue to adjust brakes as necessary during road test.