Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan: a whining noise until it warms..shifts..slip

My 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan transmission makes a whining noise until it warms up. Otherwise it shifts just fine and does not slip. Is this a sign of trouble? Any sugestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Does the van have to be driving to hear the noise or can you hear it idling in park or neutral?

How is the oil level and condition of the fluid, does it smell burnt?

Does the noise only happen in certain gears or does it do it in all gears?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does the van have to be driving to hear the noise or can you hear it idling in park or neutral? I can hear the whining noise while idling and as I drive. Its pitch changes with driving speed. It continues several minutes until the transmission warms up. It takes longer in cold weather.

How is the oil level and condition of the fluid, does it smell burnt? The local dealer says the fluid is fine.

Does the noise only happen in certain gears or does it do it in all gears? The noise happens in all gears.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I am not convinced the noise is coming from the transmission yet.

The first thing I would do is remove the serpentine drive belt and see if the noise is still there. You can only run the van for a minute because your water pump won't be turning.

I am wondering if the noise is coming from your accessory drive, like power steering pump, alternator etc.

Let me know!

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check out the serpentine dirve belt and accessory drives. I will get back to you later with additional information. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here's what I found. The noise was coming from the power steering reservoir not the transmission. The filter was clogged and was making whole power steering unit make this strange noise. So this will be a minor repair. Every hear of such a thing?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I have heard of that! That is why I wanted you to get the belt removed to see if the noise went away.

They have a screen at the bottom of the reservoir and sometimes they do get plugged, which will restrict fluid back to the pump.

I am glad you were able to track this down!

Anymore questions feel free!

Thank you,

Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.