Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

1993 dodge dakota: 318 engine cuts..rough..check engine light

Customer Question

1993 dodge dakota 318 engine cuts out intermittenly while driving. Have already replaced crankshaft position sensor and it still does it. Also intermittenly the truck will begin to run very rough and the check engine light will come on. Shut it off and restart and it runs fine.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 4 years ago.
hi, have you tested the coil? and how about the pick up coil on the distributor ? are you sure that its spark what you are loosing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have not tested the coil at this point. On prior occasions the truck would start back after sitting for a while. When it was looked at the code was for a bad injector which was changed. The next time it happened I had it towed in again and the truck started but still gave the same code. I was driving it this morning and it cut out again. It is on the side of the road and won't start. Just turns over and won't fire. Changed the CPS after doing this same thing on just answer a few months ago and problem is still there.

cam--- crank position sensor or cpm----cam position sensor?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
changed crankshaft position sensor
ok, injector failure can be cause by the cam sensor located inside the distributor, if you are getting a code for only one injector failure that is not going to cause a no start, the worst would be just a misfire, if it does not start at this moment can you check for spark on one of the spark plug ends.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
truck is down the street will have to go down there and check. Need to know anything else?

ok, check for spark on two places on the coil wire and the spark plug end wire, if you have a fuel pressure tester check pressure if not then just press the fitting on the fuel rail and see if it squirts out with pressure, at this point i need to know if is fuel or spark problem what you are having.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Went to check for spark and broke the wire pulling it off. Stuck the wire back and Called the tow truck. Waited 30 minutes and tried again and it started and I drove it home. What now?
ok, so i assume its ok know?, well at this point its going to be hard to find the problem until it happens again, this problem is related to spark and the possible problems can be cam sensor , crank sensor wish you all ready replace, or hi resistance on the coil, first you need to check the coil resistance with an ohmmeter and also the cam sensor needs to be check the same way, because the problem is with one of them. or if you want to let it run until it happens again and then we check at that moment. if it happens again first thing you need to do is check if the engine light is working it should go on with key on and turn of after 2 seconds, this will confirm the computer is working, then check for spark, and then check for fuel .