Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

I have a 2004 dodge with 5.9 cummins. truck starts and dies often.

i have a 2004 dodge with 5.9 cummins. truck starts and dies often. once it stays running it hesitates at take off. once it takes off it runs strong. then while coming to stop engine dies. starts right back up though. no active codes ever. i did all the test procedures that cummins tech support told me to do and everything checks out good. rpm fluctuates at idle quite often. one thing i noticed is that boost pressure is at 14 psi even with engine off. unplugged iat sensor and ecm reads 0 boost. replace iat sensor with new and boost goes back to 14 with engine off.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

The boost pressure on these trucks will read atmospheric pressure, so it depends on your altitude! Typically they will read around the 14 psi.

What does your common rail pressure sensor read for psi when the engine is idling?

Is it within 500 psi of setpoint?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no its all over the place between 2500 to 12000 as the idle fluctuates. set point was around 6800.

Have you replaced the fuel control actuator on the back of the injection pump?

Can you unplug the actuator and see if the engine starts and runs? It will run rough and get loud because the common rail pressure will be at maximum pressure.

Let me know,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
engine runs with actuator unplugged.

It sounds like you have a faulty fuel control actuator. This controls the amount of fuel that gets to the injection pump. The setpoint pressure and the actual pressure should be within 500 psi of each other. The part # XXXXX XXXXX

I want you to download and read the info in this link.

I would like to know if you have checked all the items in the test when the fuel pressure is fluctuating more than 500 psi.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
any idea how much part is?

The part retails for $300.00 cad.

I am not sure if you can purchase one from a diesel place yet, it wouldn't hurt to check!

If you checked the other items on the list, i would replace this and go from there!

I have seen them cause this before!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok Richard, I'm back at it. The link you had sent me says that the file has expired so I cant tell if I have done everything you want me to do. I do know that when I unplugged the actuator and the engine ran it ran different. a little noisier but no more fluctuation in idle and definately no dieing out. Then I plug it back in and idle is all over the place and dies. I assume that this actuator is the same as an IPR valve on most high pressure oil systems. I have had a few Internationals with similiar problems be that. Could you re-send link please?

Sorry about that! Here is the link again, it will expire in one day.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok i have uploaded the link. now i cant figure out how to open it and perform procedures. im not very computer literate, sorry.

The file I sent is a PDF file and if you double click on the link it should open with Adobe. Let me know! You must have Adobe on your computer, it is a free program you can download.

I am still at work and will be off in 4-5 hours.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you Richard. The actuator was the problem. Great job.

You are very welcome!!

Thank you for letting me know and I am happy to hear it worked!

Thank you,