Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

How do I know if my fuel pump needs to be replaced Wont start,

Customer Question

How do I know if my fuel pump needs to be replaced? Won't start, it had gas but don't think it is getting where it needs to..... 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L

Why is question being redirected to tax expert?

Approximately how long does it take to get a response?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for using JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
You will need to check for fuel pressure with a gauge connected to the fuel rail. Normal fuel pressure should be approximately 49PSI. You may need to turn the ignition key On -Off-On several times in order to get max reading. If your reading is much lower, then you fuel pump is bad.
Make also sure you get a spark from any of ignition wires.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is no pressure at all. There is fuel there but no pressure. When shoots starting fuel it fires but won'tr start. The fuel pump/modular, filter and battery have all been replaced and still same as when started. None of these things have had any effect on the car.

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
1) How did you check for fuel pressure?
2) You say "There is fuel there but no pressure". Do you mean it is in the tank ? or at the fuel rail?
3) Have you checked for voltage to the fuel pump?
4) Do you hear the fuel pump working?
5) Is there any whining sound when you turn the key On?
6) Did you install an original Mopar fuel pump/module assy?
Please reply back to this thread.
Thanks,
Vlad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Checked pressure with fuel check gauge,

fuel was a rail but without pressure at rail,

there was voltage at the fuel pump but did not verify where,

did not hear fiel pump working,

did not hear whining sound when key on

not original Mopar fuel pump/module assy but one purchased at O'Reily Auto on Saturday

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Thanks,
You should verify that you have +12V power and ground at the fuel pump connector while the engine is cranked.
Black wire is ground.
Dark Green/Whire wire is +12v power from the fuel pump relay.
Use a test light for this testing.
If you do not get power, then check fuses # XXXXX 20A and # XXXXX 10A in the Power Districbution Center.
If you get voltage to the fuel pump while the engine is cranked but do not hear it working, then your fuel pump is bad.

Edited by Vladgmru on 5/4/2010 at 12:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So you are saying the new $200.00 fuel pump is bad? We did all the things you indicated and do have power when tested but do not hear fuel pump working. Could fuel pump be installed improperly of can new fuel pump just be faulty?
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
No, I am not trying to say the new fuel pump is bad unless it is getting ground and power but does not spin/work or make a whining sound.
Imagine a lamp that does not light when you turn in ON, you check for voltage to the lamp with the switch ON and it is there, what is your next step?
I have seen new and faulty fuel pumps as well as improperly installed pumps .

Edited by Vladgmru on 5/4/2010 at 1:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay just got home from working on car again, when checking voltage on fuel pump appears okay (both old and new one so may have purchased that unnecessarily). I'm thinking there is something or some system preventing fuel pumps from working if that is possible.

When checking relays today I discovered the auto shut down relay and starter relay seem to have a short because the one that shouldn be hot all the time is not and one that shouldn't be hot all the time is (referring to #'s 30 and 86 I believe). Could there be a ground touching something it shouldn't be or short of some kind somewhere. I am getting so frustrated. . . . . . .Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Let's stop testing relays and finish with the power and ground at the fuel pump connector.
1) How did you check for voltage at the fuel pump connector? Please describe in detail.
2) Have you checked for spark from any ignition wire?

Edited by Vladgmru on 5/5/2010 at 1:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did you get thre message I sent you this morning? I checked voltage with multi meter and no did not check ignition wires. You are referring to spark plug wires, aren't you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Plug wires have not been checked and voltage was checked with multi meter.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
I did receive all your messages.
Yes, I mean ignition wires. Please check for spark from ignition wires. Connect an used spark plug or tester to an ignition wire, make sure the spark plug or tester touches the ground and crank the engine. See if you get spark.
I want you to check for voltage to the fuel pump with a test light. Connect your test light across the Black and Dark Green/White wires at the fuel pump connector and crank the engine. See if you test lamp lights.
Please let me know