sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

What is the easiest way to remove the oil pan on a Cummins 5.

Customer Question

What is the easiest way to remove the oil pan on a Cummins 5.9 L CID L6 12-valve while motor and trans is still in truck (1998 Dodge 2500)
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What kind of repair are you needing to do? Are you needing to replace the pan gasket or the whole pan?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a loud bottom end knock in the #5/6 cylinder area so i need to remove/lower the pan enough to inspect for damage so need to replace the gasket

If you were just replacing the pan gasket there is a way to sneak the gasket out without removing the pan. If you are needing to remove the pan though, there isn't an easy way to go about it.

With the engine being so close to the crossmember, the length of the pan and the lack of clearance you have to remove the bellhousing adapter plate from the back of the block to get the pan all the way out. The trans will have to be removed, and then the bellhousing adapter removed from the back of the engine. Then you can remove the pan bolts and drop it down, reach up into the pan and remove the oil pump pickup tube. Then you can remove the pan and tube from the engine together.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any possible way to remove the pan w\o removing the trans??? i.e. what if i raised the motor is there enough clearance then... i have acess to a cherry picker
No, there isn't enough room to remove the oil pan with the trans and bellhousing adapter still on. There is a fraction of an inch of clearance between the bottom of the pan and the frame rail, the back of the pan would have to drop down nearly 1 1/2 feet to be able to clear the bellhousing adapter. You would need to remove the fan and raise the front of the engine a couple feet to be able to accomplish this, but it's not going to work. The valve cover would hit the wiper cowl and the trans would hit the floorboard long before you were able to get the engine up high enough for the pan to clear the adapter.