sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2004 dodge ram 1500: 5.7 hemi engine//check../check engine light comes

i have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi engine//check engine light comes on and off constantly;;;have code of p0406....exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit high.....how do i fax?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This code is for the internal position sensor in the EGR valve. The EGR valve is mounted to the front of the right cylinder head and has a tube that goes to the intake to allow exhaust gases to pass back into the intake at certain times. This position sensor tells the engine controller exactly how far the valve is open so EGR flow can be precisely controlled.

There are a couple possibilities for your problem. There was a problem with the original engine controller software that could cause a handful of EGR codes to set when they shouldn't. The fix was to reprogram the software. This may have already been done in the past, the TSB was from early in 2004.

Whether the software has been reprogrammed or not you most likely need an EGR valve. It's pretty likely that the internal position sensor has failed and is causing your problem. The valve isn't hard to replace yourself if you normally do some minor repairs.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if i replace the egr valve does the tsb software need to be reprogrammed ...if so where is it reprogrammed?? when i try to reset and clear codes it does not let me/
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if i replace the egr valve is replaced....does the tsb software need to be reprogrammed ...if so where is it reprogrammed?? when i try to reset and clear codes it does not let me/

Having the software reprogrammed isn't a bad idea if it hasn't been done in the past already, but truthfully I woudl expect the EGR valve to be the actual problem now.

The software would need to be reprogrammed by your dealer. This would take about a half hour.

If you can't clear the code that means the problem is still there. Until the problem is fixed you won't be able to clear the code. Once you replace the EGR valve disconnect the battery for a minute. This will clear the fault codes and any fuel control adaptives that have been corrupted by the valve if it was sticking open when it shouldn't.

Having the software reprogrammed isn't a bad idea if it hasn't been done in the past already, but truthfully I would expect the EGR valve to be the actual problem now.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last thing, if i replace egr valve and disconnect negative cable to clear code....is it a must to have software reprogrammed? if it is will the dealer know what im talking about and try to fleece me/ How shud I request it from them? Shud I say I need a tsb software reprogrammed?
Like I said it's a good idea to have the software reprogrammed but the EGR valve is most likely the problem. If you go to the dealer to have it done all you'll have to do is ask them to reprogram (flash) the PCM software and it will automatically update to the most up to date software available. It will take about .5 to 1 hour to do.