sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT is making a front end noise when

My 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT is making a front end noise when hitting a bump. It started on the passenger side, but now it sounds like both sides do it. (not at the same time) It does this at low speed, when turning into a drive way or entrance and when hitting bumps (potholes, man covers, or uneven road) I haven't had it looked at yet. It has about 50,000 miles and new brakes about 2000 miles ago. Valarie

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's something you are definitely going to want to get looked at, at least for the safety aspect. There are several things that can make noise in the front end.

A loose tie rod end can make noise over a bump, but should also make the noise when turning the steering wheel side to side while stationary or moving slow.

A lower ball joint could be loose and making the noise.

There are links that go between the sway bar and the struts that have joints on them that can wear over time and make noise.

The sway bar mounts to the subframe in some rubber bushings that wear every time the suspension moves. When they wear enough these will cause some noise over bumps.

The struts could also give a hollow clunk over bumps, and so could their mount plates that they mount to the body with.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does not make noise when turning the wheel stationary. The noise is like squeaky/grinding when you hit a bump and the front end goes down and back up.
That would make it more likely to be a sway bar bushing then. They move any time the suspension moves and could make a clunk or squeak/squawk noise over bumps.