sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

97 DODGE: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, READING CODE P0783... 3..SHIFT

97 DODGE RAM 1500.... CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, READING CODE P0783... 3-4 SHIFT MALFUNCTION... HOW DO I FIX??

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This code sets when the overdrive clutch is commanded on but there is no RPM decrease. This can be caused by the solenoid pack mounted to the valve body, a leaking overdrive clutch piston, slipping overdrive clutch, or geartrain damage in the overdrive unit.

The first thing I would do if I was diagnosing it would be to use a pressure gauge to see if the overdrive clutch was being applied when it should be. If the pressure was correct then the overdrive unit would need to come off the back of the trans, if there was no apply pressure being sent when it should be shifting into overdrive then you would know some electrical diagnosis would need to be done, and if ok then the valve body would have to come out to inspect/replace the solenoid pack. You are most likely either going to need a solenoid pack or there is damage in the overdrive unit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

THANX BRO

You're welcome, and good luck!