TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS

How to replace control arms on a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 4 years ago.
  • Raise the vehicle.
  • Remove the front tire and wheel assembly
  • Remove both stabilizer bar links from the vehicleRemove each link by holding the upper retainer/nut with a wrench and turning the link bolt.
  • Rotate the forward ends of the stabilizer bar downward. It may be necessary to loosen the stabilizer bar cushion retainer bolts a little to ease any turning resistance.
  • Remove the nut and pinch bolt clamping the ball joint stud to the steering knuckle (

CAUTION: After removing the steering knuckle from the ball joint stud, do not pull outward on the knuckle. Pulling the steering knuckle outward at this point can separate the inner C/V joint on the driveshaft.

NOTE: Use caution when separating the ball joint stud from the steering knuckle, so the ball joint seal does not get cut.

• Separate the ball joint stud from the steering knuckle by prying down on lower control arm and up against the ball joint boss on the steering knuckle
  • If the right lower control arm is being serviced, perform the following:
    1. Remove the drive-belt splash shield fasteners. Remove the shield.
    2. Remove the pencil strut from the right front corner of the crossmember and body of the vehicle Remove the washer behind the strut from the torque strut bolt.
    3. Remove the bolts mounting the engine torque strut in place then remove the engine torque strut from the vehicle.
  • Remove the front pivot bolt attaching the lower control arm to the front suspension crossmember Remove the rear pivot bolt attaching the lower control arm to the front suspension crossmember and frame rail. Remove the lower control arm from the crossmember
  • Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

I have to replace both sides, I have the parts but I am not sure it isn't more work than I want to take on. Generally how much does the garage charge to replace.

Expert:  TIM replied 4 years ago.
    it will take 3 hours in labor
    TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
    Experience: DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS