vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

MY CHRYSLER 300C HEMI CAME UP WITH A CODE P0520 ENGINE OIL

MY CHRYSLER 300C HEMI CAME UP WITH A CODE P0520 ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SW.MALFUCTION I WANT TO REPLACE WERE IS LOCATION ON ENGINE WHAT DO I HAVE TO REMOVE TO REPLACE IT
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 4 years ago.

Good evening, here is the info you requested:

Your correct, it has a 3 wire oil pressure sensor....the colors are:

Violet with gray stripe

Pink with yellow stripe

Dark blue with dark green stripe

Here is a pic of the part:

Inorder to access it you will need to remove the alternator

5.7L

WARNING: DISCONNECT NEGATIVE CABLE FROM BATTERY BEFORE REMOVING BATTERY OUTPUT WIRE (B+ WIRE) FROM GENERATOR. FAILURE TO DO SO CAN RESULT IN INJURY OR DAMAGE TO ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Raise and support vehicle.

3. A heat shield (1) is used over the right engine mount (3). Remove two heat shield mounting bolts (2). The heat shield must be removed to gain access to generator support bracket nut (refer to following step).

4. Loosen, but do not remove generator support bracket nut (4).
  5. Remove bolt (3).
  6. Unsnap plastic insulator cap from B+ output terminal.
  7. Remove B+ terminal mounting nut at rear of generator. Disconnect terminal from generator.
  8. Disconnect field wire connector at rear of generator by pushing on connector tab.
  9. Lower vehicle.
  10. Remove generator drive belt. Refer to 7, Cooling System for procedure.

11. Partially drain some engine coolant and remove upper radiator hose.
  12. Remove two generator mounting bolts (1).
  13. Remove generator (2) from vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in step 9 what do they mean by lower vehical
What they mean is that if the vehicle is on the lift.......(up in the air)...lower the vehicle down to ground so as to gain access to the serpentine belt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
also, if the code comes back up what would be the next thing to check?

If you decide to replace it and the code returns once cleared.....then you will need to run the entire test for this code:

P0520-ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

• When Monitored:

Ignition on, engine not running.

• Set Condition:

The PCM senses the oil pressure is out of the calibrated range.

Possible Causes
(G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE
RESISTANCE (G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
(G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
RESISTANCE IN (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
RESISTANCE IN THE (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR
PCM

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC

NOTE: Ensure that the engine oil is at the proper level. Also, check the customers oil change history to ensure that the oil is being changed at the correct intervals and that the proper oil viscosity is being used.

Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, read DTCs.

Is the DTC active at this time?

Yes

• Go To 2

No

• Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure.

2. (G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
Disconnect the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector.
Ignition on, engine not running.
Measure the voltage on the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit in the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector.

Is the voltage above 0 volts?

Yes

• Repair the short to battery voltage in the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit.

No

• Go To 3

3. ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR

Turn the ignition off.
Connect the PCM harness connectors.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, monitor the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor voltage.
Connect a jumper wire between the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit and the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit.

NOTE: Engine Oil Pressure voltage should change from approximately 4.5 volts to less than 0.5 of a volt.

Is the voltage reading within the listed specification when the jumper wire is installed?

Yes

• Replace the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor.

No

• Go To 4
  • NOTE: Remove the jumper wire before continuing.

4. EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller Special Tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Measure the resistance of the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit from the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms for each circuit?

Yes

• Go To 5

No

• Repair the excessive resistance in the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit.

5. (G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

Yes

• Repair the short to ground in the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit.

No

• Go To 6

6. EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance of the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit from the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

• Go To 7

No

• Repair the excessive resistance in the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit.

7. (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY SHORTED TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit in the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

Yes

• Repair the short to ground in the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit.
  • Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST.

No

• Go To 8

8. EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance of the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit from the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

• Go To 9

No

• Repair the excessive resistance in the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit.

9. PCM

NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.

Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

• Repair as necessary.

No

• Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified