sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2002 dodge dakota: noise but mechanic says its not the lifters

Customer Question

2002 dodge dakota has bad lifter noise but mechanic says its not the lifters. only does this at idle up to 2000 rpms then goes away
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Have you checked the oil pressure with a manual gauge?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the oil presure at idle is 30 lbs and at 3,000 rpm 60 lbs.
Does it sound like more of a singular tick, or something that is affecting all cylinders?

Does it only happen when it's hot?

The oil pressure was checked when the engine was cold wasn't it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, hot or cold doesn't make any difference. Just clatter, clatter. The mechanic thought it might be the timing chain, but wasn't sure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, hot or cold doesn't make any difference. Just clatter, clatter. The mechanic thought it might be the timing chain, but wasn't sure. I would say a singlar tick
If you've got one singular type tick then you've probably got a single lifter that has failed. If it was something that affected all cylinders and the noise was widespread across the whole engine then I would suspect an oil delivery problem.

The timing chain on your truck has a tensioner to keep chain slack under control. The chain wear would have to be very extreme to overcome the chain tensioner and make noise.

Most likely you are going to have to replace the lifters. With the valve covers off you may be able to push down on the rocker arms and feel that one of the lifters is soft. If you can pinpoint one this way you could try replacing just that one, but if you are going through the trouble to pull the valve covers and intake to replace one noisy lifter you are better off replacing them as a set.