sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How do I change the spark plugs on a 2008 Dodge Nitro

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Sure you can do it!

Thank you for your service!

This engine has an individual ignition coil for each cylinder. When you open the hood you will see the six coils that go down into the heads, just inboard of the valve covers. The coils have one 10mm nut that hold them in, and they each have a two wire electrical connector. You'll unplug the electrical connector, remove the 10mm nut and then pull the coil out.

Once it's out then you'll need a spark plug socket and at least a 6" extension to be able to reach the spark plugs down in their recesses. They are standard 5/8" hex spark plugs.

The gap should be set at .043" and you'll want to replace them with NGK ZFR6F-11G plugs.