Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

1998 Dodge Ram 1500: the brakes in the rear..Drums

Lost the brakes in the rear of 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. Rear Drums, Shoes ok.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name is Mark.

First make sure the wheel cylinder pistons are free to move and not seized in the cylinder.

Try bleeding the cylinders to see if there is good fluid flow.

Let me know....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, good fluid to the rears, been bled while the truck was off, but put the tire back on truck running, tires spinning, appy the brakes and the rear tires keep on turning. What should I try next?
Ok if there is good fluid flow, then the wheel cylinder pistons might be seized. If they do not move when there is fluid applied to them, then the brake shoes will not grab.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the rear pistons move freely, I can move each one individually by hand. All the shoes and parts move freely.
Alright, so you have good fluid flow, and the wheel cylinder pistons are free, so the only thing left is the shoe adjustment. If the shoes are not adjusted correctly they will not contact the drum.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, I thought these were automatic adjusters, if not, how do I know where to set them?

They are only "automatic" in that they maintain adjustment after it has been initially set.

So, this is a star wheel adjuster. You need to turn the star wheel so that the shoes are pushed outward. Keep turning it outward until you feel a slight drag when you go to slide the drum on.

If the drum just falls into place too easily, then they need to be adjusted more. If you cant get the drum on or it is very hard, then you need to back off the star wheel a little bit.

This will take a little bit of trial and error so be patient.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Set the adjusters on both sides, put the tires back on, with the truck running and tires spinning I can stand on the brakes, one tires stops the other on keeps turning. and this is just idling. Any other suggestions?

You'll need to redo the side that does not stop.........the adjustment is still not good enough by the sounds of it.

Also, if you apply the parking brake.......engine off....... do both sides lock up and the parking brake pedal only travels about half way to the floor.......OR does the parking brake pedal go to the floor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, parking brakes work good, I can't turn the rear wheels by hand at the third click, and it goes about 3/4 to the floor if I push on it hard. I readjusted the one and I could barely get the drum over the shoes, but can still spin it by hand with a slighty effort. What is strange is that with the truck running and tires spin in idle, sometimes the passenger rear will stop, and sometimes it wont. if I let it spin for a little bit, then stand on the brakes, the drivers stops, and the pass. will keep turning, but then I here something coming from the ABS mod/valve and feel a slight pulse in the brake pedal, then the wheel will slow and stop....should we be looking at a faulty ABS mod, or something in the valves up there?
It sounds like you have this on jack stands, so take it for a drive. I'm thinking you are looking at normal characteristics because it is up on stands. A proper road test might just be the way to go.