Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

I replaced my fuel transfer pump on 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel

I replaced my fuel transfer pump on 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel with an in tank conversion kit from Dodge. There's single orange wire with connector they say to install it in the connector located just behind the left front wheel. I can't the terminal to stay in place and the truck won't run. I think its this wire that is causing the no start problem, what do you think?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Did you remove the blue terminal lock to install that terminal into the correct position?

The terminal lock is on the end of the connector where you can see the female terminals.

Did you install the wire into the position it shows?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do you remove the blue terminal lock? Do you think once the terminal is in place will resolve the no start (no fuel to filter/injector pump)?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Without the terminal in all the way it won't make connection and I am sure if you remove the blue lock the pump will run as long as everything else is done according to the instructions. To remove the large blue lock, you will need a sharp pick and pry it out. Once it is out you can insert the terminal in and it should lock in place. Make sure it doesn't pull out and then re-install the lock.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are their any lock releases for the blue terminal lock? What points is best to pry on?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

There are no locks, you just have to pry against the outside of the connector and kind of flick it out. You can have someone hold the connector and use two picks if you want. Sometimes if you have a sharp 90° pick you can just get under it and pull it out. It is actually very simple and I am sure you will have no problems!

Good luck!

Thanks,

Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.