brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

I have a 98 Dodge RAM pickup with a 5.2 (318) Engine (Gas)

Customer Question

I have a 98 Dodge RAM pickup with a 5.2 (318) Engine (Gas) and about 2 weeks ago, it started making a whooshing sound like the sound from a suction hose coming from the carburator, but I have checked and the sound it's coming from the carburator, it sounds like is sucking in air. When I press the gas pedal to accelerate or pass another car in the Highway, this sound gets louder. The main problem with this is that my pickup is using a LOT of gas. Almost double, Mechanics tell me that this sound is normal, but I had this pickup for 12 years and I know this sound isn't normal. Please help. Thanks and God Bless...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Has the throttle body and the idle air control motor been cleaned?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I haven't done that yet, were are those located? and do I need to take them off to clean them or can they be cleaned while they're installed?

Also, the weird thing about this issue is that the Engine is not giving out any black smoke or is misfiring or hesitating, it's working normal, it's just that sound and use of gas that's giving me grief. I would appreciate your input on this. Thank You Jeff.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

This can cause poor fuel economy as it will effect the air fuel mixture. Also if the injectors have not been cleaned it will help to clean them so the fuel sprays in a mist not a stream. Here is a picture of the idle air control motor and the throttle body. The idle air control motor needs to be remove and clean it and the throttle body with carb cleaner.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX try that. Just one more last question and I'll "Accept" the answer, can a regular "saturday" mechanic (Like me :-) ) clean the fuel injectors? and if yes how do I clean them? do I need to take them out and just clean them with carburator cleaner? Thank You Jeff, I appreciate your help very much. God Bless...
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
The best way to clean the injectors is to hook the cleaner up to the fuel rail and put it in here. This way the fuel doesn't dilute it. You can get the cleaner at a parts store and nothing needs to be taken out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I need special equipment to do that? and if yes, what is the name of the tool? How do I get the cleaner through the fuel rail? I notice that the fuel rail has a valve, is that how I plug in to the line with the cleaner? and what cleaner do you recommend best? I'm not trying to take up your time but I just want to make sure I understand everything so that I can do it. Thank You again.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes the cleaner hooks to the valve on the fuel rail. I don't remember the name of the cleaner (there are many good ones and ask the part store what they recommend). You need to get a gauge to connect the cleaner to the rail unless they have a kit that comes with one at the parts store.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You Jeff, I will follow your advice, how can I contact you back if I have other issues/questions? I'm accepting your answer now. I would also like to leave good feedback for you, and I will.

Again Thank You and God Bless!

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

If you need help after this just log into the web site under the log in and password XXXXX created and click on "my questions" and you will see the question you asked. Then just click on it and reply. You can still reply after you ACCEPT.

Thanks,

JB