brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2000 dodge durango: It has an intermitant rough idle and stalls

Customer Question

i have a 2000 dodge durango. It has an intermitant rough idle and stalls. The vehicle was running fine until i replaced the ac compressor and dryer. durring the maintenance I disconencted the battery. we i copleted the repair on the ac unit reconnectedd battery and then the rough idle started after the truck comes up to opperating temp. the ecm,crankshaft sensor,pick-up coil, ignition coil, plugs wires plugs and tps sensor were replaced in july only six months ago. the ignition coil was replaced a week ago with an oem part. this is very intermitant, the truck will run fine at speed on highway but in town when slowing down it will drop rpm, spit,sputter somtimes cut off, if you take ur foot of the gas and then back on it picks right back up.
Fuel pressure is good.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
With disconnecting the battery the idle air control motor in the throttle body lost it's memory. Remove the idle air control motor and clean it and the throttle body with carb cleaner then pull out on the plunger of the idle air control motor and reinstall it. This will reset the idle air control motor and correct the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you talking about the IAC on the back of the throttle body?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Yes.....

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that did not fix it, engine still stumbling when you left off the gas intermitantly, i also replaced the iac because when i pulled the shaft out of the housing body it came apart. Do i need to reset the computer because i replaced the IAC?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

No if you install it with the plunger extended it will work fine.

Did you also clean out the throttle body?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i cleaned the throttle body out too. The ploblem with the IAC was the plunger itself pulled all the way out of the sensor and the spring fell out onto the ground. when i tried to put back together the screw the plunger is attached to was stipped out. Guess i pulled to hard. the throttle body was cleaned out before i installed the new iac..
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

This vehicle ran fine though until the a/c work was done?

Is it only bad at idle and run good other wise?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oppps sorry about that. Yes the vehicle ran great until the ac work was done. the rest is what was replaced in july of last year. wanted to give the background. it is acting the same way it did when the ecm went out. the only thing i did to the ignition or fuel was disconnect the battery for about 2 hours while i was replacing the compressor. i also diconnected the throttle cable at the trotle body because the cable was on top of the compressor and couldnt be removed with out dis conennting it.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
check engine light is on the only code it is throwing is P0132, which is O2 sensor upper bank i believe. O2 sensor new in jan 09 when transmission was rebuilt. they crushed the wires installing the transmission. that will just cause the motor to run in a closed loop and it has been running fine that way since july.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Have you checked all the vacuum lines to make sure nothing got disconnected when doing the a/c repair?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the vacuume lines are good, unless there is one that is hidden. i checked the short one that attaches to the map sensor also.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Typically the idle will reset if the plunger was extended on the iac when installed. The only other suggestion I have would be to put it on a scan tool and relearn the idle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok i have a scan tool how do i relearn the idle?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a DRB scan tool?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i have a actron cp9145 scan tool, who makes the drb scan tool, and is this a scan tool that is only used by dodge dealers?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

It is the scan tool at the dealer. I'm not sure if it can be done with the other scan tools or not.....

Have you tried to drive the vehicle to see if it would improve?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i drove the truck to work yesterday and it did fine. when the wife drove it did act up but did not cut off. it did spit and sputter at about 35 mph and then it picked right back up. we pulled up to a red light it started spiting and sputtering as we slowed to a stop. put the truck in nuetral stepped on gas and it then started idleing correctly. I can not duplicate this unless the truck is in gear unless it is already spitting and sputtering when i stop and take it out of gear. it has improved slightly but not enought o let the wife drive it. she fusses to muuch when it spits and sputters..... lol
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
The reason I asked was many times it will reset itself but may take some driving until it is totally back to normal
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i ll go drive it 4 awhile. do i need to be interstate or city driving or does it really matter. At idle in the driveway it does not drop off or spit in sputter until its in gear and going down the road.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
City driving is better
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok just drove the truck for about an hour stop put gas in it, still doing the same thing. only acted up 3 times before i put gas in it acted up 3 times after i put gas in it and it stalled 2 at red lights after i put gas in it. only put 10 gallons of premium gas. only does after moter is at operating temp, no problems on highway. When it acts up there is a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust pipe. suspecting the truck is running lean when it goes to acting up. double checked vacuume line and i broke the vacume line that goes to the crues control. i replaced it with a new one. there are no dealers open this weekend that can hool it up to the diagnostic computer. Can the pick up coil(camshaft sensor) or the crank shaft sensor cause this? Can the ecm have an intemitant fault in in it that is just correcting itself prior to setting a code?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
If it were the cam sensor or the crank sensor it would;d happen while at highway speeds also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, can the fuel pump be getting hot and causeing this? when i went thru this six months ago the ignition coil shorted out to the mounting brackett. It took out the cam sen, crank sens, coil and the ecm. prior to that happening it was doing this exact same thing. So i checked the ig coil and the mounting brackett was lose so i went ahead and replaced it with an oem coil from dodge. could the old coil have damaged the ecm? or at least cause it not to learn the sensors properly? could the tps sensor cause an idle problem when you take your foot of the gas?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
I could see the tps being a problem if not working correctly and of course the computer could cause an issue.......what doesn't make sense is you had no problem until the a/c work was done and the battery was disconnected that is why it seems to me the computer is most likely the issue and would start with having it checked
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok this ecm is under warenty i think but i have to do some research. I will get back to u in a bit..
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the computer is under warrenty but it will be monday before i will get a reply. I will be out of town for two weeks before i can began troubleshooting this problem again. I will send you a post when i get the new computer installed.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
sounds good