jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service
16831211

I changed the water pump on my 2006 dodge caravan and now i

Customer Question

I changed the water pump on my 2006 dodge caravan and now i cant get the timing belt back on v6 3.3
Category: Dodge
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Do you need the service info for this repair?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i need to know how to get the timing belt back on

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Got ya covered. Is this a 4 cylinder motor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
v6 3.3
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
And it is not a chain?

The 4 cyl has a belt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i said it was a belt its a belt

Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 4 years ago.

Here is the routing of the belt you took off to replace the water pump. ( the 3.3 has a timing chain, but this is the accessory drive belt)

3.3/3.8L ENGINE

Fig. 1 - 3.3/3.8L Belt Routing
1 - GENERATOR PULLEY
2 - A/C COMPRESSOR PULLEY
3 - CRANKSHAFT PULLEY
4 - TENSIONER PULLEY
5 - WATER PUMP PULLEY
6 - P/S PUMP PULLEY
7 - IDLER PULLEY
1.Route and position the drive belt onto all pulleys, except for the crankshaft.
2.Rotate belt tensioner counterclockwise until belt can be installed onto the crankshaft pulley . Slowly release belt tensioner.
3.Verify belt is properly routed and engaged on all pulleys Fig. 1 .
4.Install drive belt shield and lower vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok since the belt isnt a timing belt i didnt mess up the timing r anything else

That is right; just put it back on in the routing i have sent you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i rotate the tensioner by hand

If you can move the tensioner by hand, then the tensioner spring is broken, and needs replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do i rotate it

The tensioner has a square drive hole, to put in a 1/2'' ratchet. ( some will rotate with a 15mm wrench)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so losening the bolt on the tensioner will give me enough room to fit the belt around the crankshaft pulley
No, you do not want to loosen the tensioner bolt; you want to turn the tensioner pulley, to get it to move, to allow you to get the belt on.