carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified technician, 16 yrs in field

I need to change the serpentine belt on my 08 avenger, does

I need to change the serpentine belt on my 08 avenger, does it have a tensioner jack? If not, which pully do loosen? Help!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 6 years ago.

Good evening.

I am sending over a picture of the 2.0/2.4 belt routing.

The tensioner pulley is #8 in the diagram. Please let me know if this all jives with your engine..

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we took the bolt out of number 9 pully thinking that was the one, may hve bent the bolt, we havent been able to get it back in becuase it is no longer aligned with the hole. Will this create a big problem or will we be able to replace it when the old belt is off. To take belt off, do we need to completely take off number 8 pully or do we just have to loosen? And once we get the new belt on, any tips on how to guage proper tightness/tension of belt?

Once the belt is removed, then, reinstall #9 pulley and bolt..You can't reinstall it when there is belt tension..

Now, As far as the tensioner goes. Do not remove any bolts. When you put a wrench on the bolt head in the center of the pulley, you should be able to act like you are going to loosen the bolt and the entire pulley will move back to allow you to remove the belt and install the new.

The #8 pulley is attached to a spring loaded tensioner assembly and belt tension is determined by this tensioner..

Please let me know what you find and how everything is going..

Thanks, Josh