Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Ase Master Tech 20+ Years
28939717

2000 dodge dakota: wont shift..P1734,P1732 error codes..speed sensors

Customer Question

2000 dodge dakota won't shift into gear. P0731,PO734,P1734,P1732 error codes. Replaced speed sensors already
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Most commonly these codes are caused by the speed sensors

there are also known issues with the connectors to the sensors

did you verify the readings from the input and output sensors with a scan tool?

if the reading of the sensors are showing good with a scan tool the transmission may have failed

click here for more information on testing speed sensors

click here for more information on testing for bad connector

click here for more information on transmission slippage causing codes

if the speed sensors are showing good on a scan tool your transmission is to blame.

let me know what you get for readings

thanks

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have replaced both the input and output speed sensors already. Didn't help. The gear shift moves freely but the transmission doesn't engage. Could it be the transmission control solenoid? No signs that the transmission failed. Parked the truck and when I came back it threw the MIL and wont engage into gear.

you need to verify the readings of the sensors with a scan tool

you could have a bad connector or a problem in the harness

the nest step is to verify the sensor readings

Paul