Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

MY 2006 DODGE 3500 DUALLY HAS A VIBRATION UNDER A LOAD . WHEN

MY 2006 DODGE 3500 DUALLY HAS A VIBRATION "UNDER A LOAD". WHEN PULLING OFF WITH MY CAMPER IN TOW IT SHAKES AND SHUTTERS. IT GETS A LITTER BETTER AS I GO THRU THE GEARS "ITS AN AUTOMATIC TRANS. THEN AT ROAD SPEED THERE IS A CONSTANT VIBRATION I CONSIDER IT A HIGH FREQUENCY AND IS FELT IN THE SEAT TO MU BUTT. IT QUITS AS SOON AS I LIFT MY FOOT OFF THE THROTTLE. IT IS NOT FELT IN THE STEERING WHEEL. I HAD A U-JOINT REPLACED IT ONLY HAD VERY LITTLE SLACK. IT STILL IS DOING THE EXACT THING"VIBRATING" NEED HELP. THANKS KEN HOLM
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. The problem is still in the drive line (drive shaft). Does your truck have the one piece or two piece drive shaft?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THE DRIVE SHAFT IS A TWO PIECE WITH A CARRIER BEARING.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Ok then your vibration may be caused by a drive shaft balance problem, or a drive shaft angle that is too extreme because of the load of the camper. There was a bulletin that talks about this. It involves changing the drive shaft angle by adding shims to the center carrier bearing. Look this over, and show it to your mechanic / technician. If this does not help, then a good drive shaft / transmission shop should check the balance of the drive shaft. An inclinometer helps diagnosing this, but may not be necessary. Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this,

Chris

SUBJECT:

Launch Shudder

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves adjusting the propeller shaft working angles.

MODELS:

2003 - 2007 (DR) Ram Truck

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a two piece rear driveshaft.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A vehicle may exhibit a drive line shudder or vibrations while accelerating from a stop. The

condition is most noticeable under heavy throttle acceleration and is usually only present a

low speeds (below 25 m.p.h.).

DIAGNOSIS:

Vehicles equipped with a two piece driveshaft are designed to minimize reaction forces

which result from the universal joint transmitting torque at an angle. These forces can not

be eliminated entirely because of the necessity to compromise joint angle selection

between curb and design loading conditions. When subjected to this vibration, the vehicle

experiences a shudder type disturbance, generally occurring less than 25 mph. This

disturbance will increase as the suspension moves further from its design load (typically

two front passengers). The forces are also torque sensitive, which means the disturbance,

will be highest under wide open throttle.

U-joint angles change depending upon the amount of weight applied to the vehicle bed,

therefore u-joint angle readings may need to be taken with different vehicle loads in order

to obtain a satisfactory compromise. The vehicle should be evaluated under the loaded

condition that produces the objectionable disturbance.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

AR 52105717AB Bracket - 14.7 mm

AR 52105587AB Bracket - 19.8 mm

AR 52105716AB Bracket - 84.6 mm

AR 52105583AB Bracket - 89.8 mm

AR 52105714AB Bracket - 113.1 mm

NUMBER: 03-003-04

GROUP: Differential & Drive

Line

DATE: June 15, 2004

Qty. Part No. Description

AR 52105584AB Bracket - 115.3 mm

AR 52105715AB Bracket - 132.0 mm

AR 52105559AB Bracket - 133.9 mm

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

7663 Inclinometer

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Inspect the suspension and drive line for any signs of worn or damaged parts. Make

the necessary repairs.

2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The weight of the vehicle must be supported by the

suspension. Make sure that the frame is as level as possible.

3. Remove universal joint snap rings if equipped, so Inclinometer No. 7663 base sits flat.

4. Rotate shaft until transmission/transfer case output yoke bearing is facing downward.

NOTE: Always take measurements from front to rear and on the same side of the

vehicle.

5. Place inclinometer on yoke bearing cap or pinion flange ring (A) parallel to the shaft .

Center the bubble in sight glass and record measurement(Fig. 1).

This measurement will give you the transmission yoke Output Angle .

6. Rotate propeller shaft 90 degrees and place Inclinometer on yoke bearing parallel to

the shaft . Center the bubble in sight glass and record measurement. This

measurement can also be taken at the rear end of the shaft(Fig. 2).

This measurement will give you the Front Propeller Shaft Angle .

7. Rotate propeller shaft 90 degrees and place Inclinometer on yoke bearing parallel to

the rear shaft and center the bubble in the sight glass and record measurement. This

measurement can also be taken at the rear end of the shaft.

This measurement will give you the Rear Propeller Shaft Angle .

8. Rotate propeller shaft 90 degrees and place inclinometer on rear axle pinion flange

yoke bearing parallel to the shaft(Fig. 3). Center the bubble in sight glass and record

measurement.

This measurement will give you the Pinion Flange Input Angle or Pinion Angle.

03-003-04 -2-

Fig. 1 OUTPUT ANGLE

Fig. 2 PROPELLER SHAFT ANGLE

-3- 03-003-04

Fig. 3 PINION ANGLE

9. To calculate the operating angle for the transmission output to front propeller shaft

(A)(Fig. 4), subtract front propeller shaft angle from the transmission output shaft. To

calculate the operating angle for the front to rear propeller shaft (B)(Fig. 4), subtract

the front prop. rear propeller shaft angel from the front. To calculate the operating

angle for the rear prop. shaft to pinion angle (C)(Fig. 4), subtract the pinion angle from

the rear prop. shaft angle. The operating angles can be adjusted by moving the center

carrier bearing up or down. The center bearing brackets, listed above, are available in

a variety of heights. The working angles should be adjusted to provide the lowest

angle possible for the output shaft to front propeller shaft, front propeller shaft to rear

propeller shaft and rear propeller shaft to axle pinion. The angles must be below 3

degrees but must have a minimum angle of 1/2 degree to provide for universal joint

lubrication. Determine which direction you need to move the center bearing to optimize

the angles and install the appropriate bracket to obtain the minimum working angle,

but still maintain at least 1/2 degree to assure that there will be some movement in the

U-joint bearings(Fig. 4).

03-003-04 -4-

Fig. 4 UNIVERSAL JOINT ANGLE

1 - YOKES MUST BE IN SAME PLANE

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS

Ft. Lbs.

Center Bearing Bolts 54 40

Transfer Case Flange Bolts 88 65

LD - Front Pinion Flange Bolts 115 85

HD - Front Pinion Flange Bolts 28 21

Rear Pinion Flange Bolts 115 85

Rear Pinion Yoke Bolts 29 22

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech