moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

Dodge ram 1500 4x4: gear selector..park..barely past R for reverse

Customer Question

gear selector out of line on dodge ram 1500 4x4. I guess park is park. you have to go barely past R for reverse. But drive is all the way past D to 2 in order to get into gear. I was told it is a linkage problem in the steering wheel is this true?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
There is a adjustment for this. if you look on the bottom of the steering cloum you will see a small cable that hooks up to the cloum. it has a thumb wheel to adjust the shift indicator.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You. I tightend the wheel all the way, it kinda helps but the selector is still loose. I have to force the selector all the way up to make it is not in reverse. It does not lock into each positition. Is there anything I can do other than adujust that wheel.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
Yes there is a linkage adjustment as well.I will send you the info on it.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.

ADJUSTMENT

Check linkage adjustment by starting engine in PARK and NEUTRAL. Adjustment is acceptable if the engine starts in only these two positions. Adjustment is incorrect if the engine starts in one position but not both positions

If the engine starts in any other position, or if the engine will not start in any position, the park/neutral switch is probably faulty.

LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT

Check condition of the shift linkage (Linkage Adjustment Components). Do not attempt adjustment if any component is loose, worn, or bent. Replace any suspect components.

Replace the grommet securing the shift rod or torque rod in place if either rod was removed from the grommet. Remove the old grommet as necessary and use suitable pliers to install the new grommet.

1. Shift transmission into PARK.
  2. Raise and support vehicle.
  3. Loosen lock bolt in front shift rod adjusting swivel (Linkage Adjustment Components).
  4. Ensure that the shift rod slides freely in the swivel. Lube rod and swivel as necessary.
  5. Move transmission shift lever fully rearward to the Park detent.
  6. Center adjusting swivel on shift rod.
  7. Tighten swivel lock bolt to 10 N·m (90 in. lbs.).
  8. Lower vehicle and verify proper adjustment.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.

1 - FRONT SHIFT ROD
2 - TORQUE SHAFT ASSEMBLY
3 - TORQUE SHAFT ARM
4 - ADJUSTING SWIVEL
5 - LOCK BOLT