CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician
18188794

2000 Dodge Intrepid: overheating..the temperature gauge goes down

My 2000 Dodge Intrepid keeps overheating. When I turn the heat on, the temperature gauge goes down. I think my thermostat might be bad
Category: Dodge
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 4 years ago.
That is certainly a good place to start. If the thermostat is sticking closed or partially closed it will cause an overheating condition. Assuming your coolant level is correct that is the first thing to replace. If I have answered your question please hit accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Had my coolant flushed and filled last august. Is this something that I can fix myself? If not, what is average cost of repair?
You need to check the coolant level now, you may have developed a leak, and the system could simply be low, you can certainly check that yourself. As far as the thermostat, I don't know your skill level, but I would imagine if you have a rudimentary knowledge of engines and things mechanical, and some standard hand tools that you could do it yourself. If you pay a shop to replace it, expect about a $120 bill. If I have answered your question please hit accept.
CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience: Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician