Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

2001 dodge intrepid: 2.7L, no ignition spark..relay click

2001 dodge intrepid 2.7L, no ignition spark, can hear auto shut down relay click when turned on and off? Tirns over fine and smells of gas.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to know if there are fault codes stored in the PCM.

Can you try this - Sit in the vehicle with all doors closed and starting with the key in the off position turn it to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON within 5 seconds and leave the key on and watch the digital odometer to see if it displays a fault code. It will be a P followed by 4 numbers example P0700. When it is done displaying codes or if there are no codes it will say done.

Let me know, thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tried several times as you described no codes, got a PASS each time
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I find that strange, that there are no codes!

Did the car quit on you while driving or did it just not start one day?

Have you removed a coil to check for spark?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Catastrophic timing chain failure, replaced timing chain system in toto, water pump, oil pump too, heads replaced as valves were bent.

No codes seems strange to me too

I did remove coil to check spark-nothing

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Has the car started since all the work was done?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Are you positive the timing is on? These engines will not start or even throw a spark when the timing is out! The crank position sensor and camshaft position sensor have to be in sync in order to allow spark.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was very carefull to chek the timing marks(crankshaft and camshafts), I will swap out the camshaft sensor, how do I get to the crankshaft sensor?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Can you disconnect the cam sensor connector and try to start the car. You will have to crank the engine over for 10-15 seconds! let me know, if it starts! The engine will run without a cam sensor, but will have a very long crank time!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It fired, did not start, got a P0340 Camchaft sensor code, smells like its flooded.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Did the car fire before at all, or just after disconnecting the cam sensor?

With the cam sensor disconnected it will set that code.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not fire before, just cranked, this is the first time it fired
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I am going to have to say the timing must be out. With the cam sensor disconnected it will try to start if the timing is out. With it connected and the timing is out, it will tell the PCM something isn't right and will not spark.

Can you try this? Disconnect the cam sensor and remove a coil and insert an old plug into the end of the coil and crank it over and see if it starts to throw spark after 10 seconds.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got spark and a backfire
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to say but the timing has to be out! If the cam sensor was the problem, the car will start after 10 seconds of cranking after being disconnected! Since the engine throws spark now and still won't start, that is telling me the timing is out! I just hope that it isn't out enough to bend the valves. The timing will have to be verified and once set a compression test on all cylinders should be performed, to make sure the valves are ok.

The compression will usually be above 160psi.

I hope this helps you, let me know!

Thanks,

Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.