Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

99 Dodge Durango: had a high idle when I purchased it, around 1200 rpm

Customer Question

I have a 99 Dodge Durango with a 5.9. It has 133k on it. I just bought it and it had a high idle when I purchased it, around 1200 rpm. I replaced the Idle air control valve and that fixed it. My problem now is at normal idle it runs rough after warm up, sometimes it will stumble and once it stalled while coasting around 15mph. A couple of times I had to put it into neutral and rev it through what sounds like backfires through the throttlebody. Mileage is pretty bad even for the 5.9, maybe 12 mpg! And that was on a 150 mile highway trip. Check engine has come and gone but currently showing p0132, 0135 and 0141. I have a receipt for the o2's being replaced within the year, but can't determine by the receipt if they replaced bank 1 or 2 or both!
Submitted: 6 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

It sounds silly, but check all of the fuses especially fuse "K". Fuse "k" supplies the o2 sensors with voltage. IF this fuse is blown, these codes will pop up and cause this sort of problem. If you have power to both o2 sensors and they both check out ok and this problem still persists, check for air and or vacuum leaks.

Potential Causes: Fuse K
Oxygen (O2) Sensor Wiring
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Amedee,

I am going to check the fuses like you suggested. Let me run this by you, I caught info from another guy who had almost the same codes 0132 035 and 0138 had the same poor idle and stumbling on acceleration from a stop. He found that it was a ground problem with the strap that attaches to the transmission and supplies the ground to the bank 1 O2 sensors. What do you think?

Jason

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now that I think about it it could be a ground issue because the tranny was rebuilt by AAMCO 12k miles ago
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
YES... to both! it is possible!

THis would be the ground for the o2 sensors and exhaust system.