Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

Can bad diesel fuel break a valve in a diesel engine

Customer Question

can bad diesel fuel break a valve in a diesel engine
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

I can't see how bad diesel could break a valve in a diesel engine!

You would have other issues long before a valve would break!

Valve damage can occur, if running performance chips or if an injector is over fueling. This will cause excessive heat and cause damage to both the piston and valves.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I ask this question because dodge is not honoring the warranty, because they say the broken valve is due to bad fuel. We asked dodge to test the fuel, they would not do it, so my husband and I sent the fuel from the tank in to be tested and it came back good. but still doge will not honor warranty. This truck has less than 14,000 mile on it.
I have been told by another mechanic that bad fuel no mater how bad it is can not cause a broken valve, is this what your telling me also?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Yes, bad fuel will not cause a valve to break. I can't believe they are telling you that!

They will try anything to avoid paying for the repair! It seems like they try and blame everything on fuel these days!

I have been working on these Cummins diesels since 1989 and have never seen a broken valve from a fuel issue!

Bad fuel can damage fuel system components, like injectors, pumps and other fuel system parts, but will not damage the valves.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

You are very welcome! Sorry to hear you are having issues with getting warranty.