brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2000 Grand Caravan: park 50% of the time..only shift as far as reverse

2000 Grand Caravan. I can only shift into park 50% of the time. Otherwise it will only shift as far as reverse. If I go to start it, I have to move it to neutral. This got worse when it was very cold. Has improved some now. Had it looked at. Was told I needed a neutral safety switch and a shift cable for $400.00. Another person said the Grand Caravan doesn't have a neutral safety switch. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
It has what is called a range sensor but does the same thing as the safety neutral switch. From the description this would be the problem. o determine if it is the cable or the switch remove the cable from the switch and see if it moves into park then. If it does then replace the switch, if still hard to move replace the cable.