Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2007 dodge caliber, skipping bad, has code 303, cylinder 3

Customer Question

2007 dodge caliber, skipping bad, has code 303, cylinder 3 misfire, what can be wrong?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. A #3 cylinder misfire on this engine is usually a bad spark plug or possibly a bad fuel injector. When was the last time you did a tune up (replaced spark plugs) on this vehicle?

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

we switched spark plugs then coil pack from 2 to 3 still has same #3 misfire

Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok, then really the only 2 things left is a bad fuel injector, or low compression on that #3 cylinder. You can do 2 things here: 1. do a compression test on the engine, or 2 swap fuel injectors (swap #3 with # XXXXX etc.) If after swapping injectors the misfire moves to the cylinder you swapped with then you have identified a bad injector. Check this and let me know what you find,

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there any way to do a quick compression test, apparently, my husband swapped 3 and 4 injectors, and we can't get a compression tester until tomorrow...is there any quick trick to test the compression
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Well, one way that I can tell if compression is low in one cylinder is to prevent the engine from starting (disconnect the ASD relay or disconnect all four coil connectors). Then crank the engine for about 5 minutes or so and listen to the way it cranks. It should be even sounding so to speak. If it sounds like the cranking speed speeds up when it hits a low cylinder, then that cylinder's compression is low. You can try this, or if it is inconclusive, then do a compression test with a tester.

Chris