Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 ABS and Brake lights stay on in dash panel. Switch

2000 Dodge Ram 1500
ABS and Brake lights stay on in dash panel.
Switch in rear differential tested OK.
Tried a used computer module for the ABS/Brake.
Lights went off for a minute or so and then came back on.
Does the computer module have to be progammed for this vehicle?
If so, how can this be done?
Could there be a different problem or solution?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. First of all you cannot install a used ABS module into your truck. You see the ABS module stores the vehicle's VIN# XXXXX it. So the used module has the VIN# XXXXX the truck it came out of. The used module compares the VIN# XXXXX it with the one in your truck. If it does not match, then it sets a (vin mismatch) code and turns on the lights. Now your old module may have failed, or there is another issue such as a front speed sensor or something else. Do this: reinstall your original ABS module, and then drive the truck to Auto Zone or your local auto parts store and ask them to connect their scan tool to the truck and see what code is being set. Then if it is a failing ABS module, replace it with a new one. After that you will need to configure/program the new module to the truck's tire size and pinion factor.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked another site:

Status:We're Waiting For You
Category:Dodge
Value:$13

SMS Text Alerts

Bookmark and Share

Asked by on Tue, Mar 2, 2010 8:02 PM EST

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 ABS and Brake lights stay on in dash panel. Switch in rear differential tested OK. Tried a used computer module for the ABS/Brake. Lights went off for a minute or so and then came back on. Does the computer module have to be progammed for this vehicle? If so, how can this be done? Could there be a different problem or solution?

Optional Information:
Year: 2000
Make: Dodge
Model: RAM 1500XXXXXbr />Engine: 6 cyl

Already Tried:
Testing sensor/switch in rear differential Replacing computer module

Picture

You have received an Answer!

From Chris

Tue, Mar 2, 2010 8:21 PM EST

Chris

If you find this information at all helpful please choose to accept as it is the only way I'll get paid and bonuses/feedback are always appreciated. Thanks. Accept Answer

Need more information? Reply to your Expert

Need Help? Check Spelling Release Date2007-02-13
-- Styles --Normal TextSmall TextFine PrintBlue NormalBlue Small

Status:We're Waiting For You
Category:Dodge
Value:$13

SMS Text Alerts

Bookmark and Share

Optional Information:
Year: 2000
Make: Dodge
Model: RAM 1500XXXXXbr />Engine: 6 cyl

Already Tried:

Picture

You have received an Answer!

From
Chris

Tue, Mar 2, 2010 8:21 PM EST

Chris

characters left: Not satisfied with your Expert?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I CHECKED ANOTHER SITE..

IT SAYS I HAVE TO PULL THE CODES FROM THE ANTILOCK BRAKE CONTROLLER (CAB).

Chrysleronly provides a procedure to pull ABS codes with a Chrysler Diagnostic Readout Box (DRB) scan tool.

There are no procedures provided by Chrysler to pull ABS codes with a generic scan tool or any other procedures besides using the Chrysler DRB.

AutoZone says they can only check the Engine Light code. Not the ABS or Brake codes.

Got another way???

Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

The Dealer's DRB is the original scan too to read the ABS codes in your truck, but I know for a fact that there are other scan tools that will read your ABS codes. I used to consult for SnapOn tools and I know that their scan tool(s). will comunicate with your ABS module and read the codes. If AutoZone won't check this for you, then call around until you find a shop that will (tire/brake shops etc.) But like I said before, you will not be able to use the used module, so put your old one back in before you have the codes read,

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech