sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1999 Dodge Ram 1500: removed all the bolts from my front fender

I have removed all the bolts from my front fender on my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 but it does not want to come off. How do i remove it from the vehicle?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Driver's side or passenger's side?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am on the passengers side now but also have to do the drivers side.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Here is the information to remove the fender:

RIGHT FRONT FENDER

REMOVAL

1. Remove front bumper.
  2. Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable.
  3. Remove auxiliary battery and tray on right side, if equipped.
  4. Disengage wire harness tie-downs from wheelhouse.
  5. Disconnect wiring harness to headlamp connector.
  6. Disconnect wiring harness to airbag sensor and remove airbag sensor from wheelhouse.
  7. Remove front wheelhouse liner Front Wheelhouse Liner
  8. Disengage air conditioning tubing from inner fender clips.
  9. Remove bolts attaching front fender to cowl reinforcement
  10. Remove bolts attaching front fender to radiator closure panel.
  11. Remove bolts attaching bottom of front fender to rocker panel lower flange Right Front Fender
  12. Open right door.
  13. Remove bolt attaching front fender to hinge pillar mounting bracket Right Front Fender
  14. Remove bolts attaching top of fender to radiator closure panel Right Front Fender
  15. Separate right front fender from vehicle

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did all this and the fender still won"t come off.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

If you did all the steps then I don't know as it should come off?

Let me see if another expert has any ideas.......I will send your information to them

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The wheel well wants to come off with it as well.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The plastic wheel well liner needs to be removed before the fender can be removed. The liner is attached with plastic rivets (about 10 or so). You'll need to knock the centers out of these rivets and remove the outer part and remove the wheel well liners from the truck. Then you'll be able to remove the fender if everything else is unbolted.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There were six rivets just inside the fender connected to the wheel well and I removed them.

You said the wheel well liner was trying to come out with the fender? That means it's still attached. You need to remove the inner fender liner from the wheel well, knock all the rivets out and remove it completely from the truck. There are more rivets in back farther than just the outside of the opening, these rivets attach to the fender too.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist