Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist

How do you replace a heater core in a 1997 dodge dakota what

How do you replace a heater core in a 1997 dodge dakota? what all do i have to take out under the dash?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is a big job. the entire dsah must come out. Then the HVAC case will come out and you remove core from inside that case. You will need a way to get the freon out of the system etc.. I put info below but would be very difficlut for me to walk you through each step as so many involved. The first steps are the heater core only AFTER dash is out. The remaining steps are for the dash panel removal

Fig 64 Heater Core Removal/Installation

WARNING: On vehicles equipped with Air-Bags, failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury .

REMOVAL
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel assembly from the vehicle. Refer to: "Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators : Instrument Panel : Service and Repair" See: Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators\Instrument Cluster / Carrier\Service and Repair
  3. Remove the heater-A/C housing.Refer to: "Housing Assembly HVAC : Service and Repair" See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair
  4. Remove the heater-A/C housing cover.
  5. Lift the heater core out of the heater-A/C housing.

INSTALLATION

1. Insert the heater core into the bottom of the heater-A/C housing.
  2. Install the heater-A/C housing cover.
  3. Reinstall the heater-A/C housing.
  4. Reinstall the instrument panel assembly in the vehicle.
  5. Connect the battery negative cable.

DASHBOARD REMOVAL

1. Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
  2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Cowl Side Trim Remove/Install

1. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide bladed flat tool, gently pry along the edges of the right and left door sill trim to release the snap-clip retainers that secure it to the sill. Carefully disengage the ends of the sill trim from the cowl side trim at the front, and the B-pillar trim (standard cab) or quarter panel trim (club cab) at the rear, then remove the sill trim from the vehicle.
  2. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide bladed flat tool, gently pry the left and right cowl side trim to release the snap-clip retainer that secures it to the door hinge pillar and remove it from the vehicle.
  3. Remove the steering column opening cover and knee blocker as described.
  4. Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
  5. Unplug the driver side airbag module wire harness connector at the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
  6. If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the tilt steering column lever.
Steering Column Shrouds - Typical

1. Remove the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column. Refer to: "Steering and Suspension : Steering : Steering Column : Steering Column Cover : Service and Repair" See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column Cover\Service and Repair
  2. Remove the lower fixed steering column shroud.
Multi-Function Switch Connector - Typical

1. Loosen the multi-function switch wire harness connector screw. The screw will remain in the wire harness connector. Unplug the multi-function switch wire harness connector.
Steering Column Connector - Typical

1. Unplug the remaining steering column wire harness connectors.
  2. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the over- drive lockout switch wire harness connector near the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
  3. Remove the steering column. Refer to: "Steering and Suspension : Steering : Steering Column : Service and Repair" See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair
  4. Remove the screw from the center of the bulkhead wire harness connector and unplug the connector.
  5. Unplug the two body wire harness connectors located next to the bulkhead wire harness connector.
  6. Unplug the three wire harness connectors located nearest to the dash panel from the junction block.
  7. Unsnap the plastic retainer clip from the park brake linkage rod at the back of the park brake release handle, and remove the rod end from the handle.
  8. Unplug the wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch.
  9. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the wire harness connector from the Rear Wheel Anti-Lock (RWAL) brake module located on the inboard side of the pedal and steering column support brackets.
  10. Unplug the vacuum harness connector near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
  11. Remove the instrument panel center support bracket as described on this group.
  12. Remove the screw that secures the wire harness ground eyelets to the left side of the Airbag Control Module (ACM) bracket on the floor pan transmission tunnel.
  13. Unplug the wire harness connector from the ACM.
  14. Remove the glove box as described.
  15. Reach through the glove box opening to unplug the antenna coaxial cable connector.
  16. Release the antenna half of the coaxial cable from the retainer clip on the lower instrument panel near the outboard side of the glove box opening.
  17. Reach through the glove box opening to unplug the blower motor wire harness connector located near the heater-A/C support brace above the glove box opening.
  18. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the two wire harness connectors from the Infinity speaker amplifier on the right cowl side inner panel.
  19. Remove the nut that secures the radio ground wire harness eyelet to the stud on the right cowl side inner panel.
Instrument Panel Assembly Remove/Install

1. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about two turns.
  2. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  3. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of the dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 46 cm (18 inches) from the dash panel.
Roll-Down Bracket

1. Pull the lower instrument panel outwards until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets.
  2. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position:
    1. Unplug the two door jumper wire harness connectors located on a bracket near the right end of the instrument panel.
    2. Unplug the wire harness connector at the blower motor resistor.
    3. Disconnect the temperature control cable flag retainer from the top of the heater-A/C housing and pull the cable core adjuster clip off of the blend-air door lever.
    4. Disconnect the demister duct flexible hose from the adapter on the top of the heater-A/C housing.
  1. With the aid of an assistant, remove the temporary hook and lift the instrument panel assembly off of the roll-down bracket screws and remove it from the vehicle.
  2. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting hardware as follows:
    • Instrument panel top to dash panel screws - 3 N.m (28 in. lbs.)
    • Instrument panel roll-down screws - 12 N.m (105 in. lbs.) .

Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist