Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 2000 dodge durango had code p 0206 which I fixed after replacing

My 2000 dodge durango had code p 0206 which I fixed after replacing injectors, spark plugs, tps and finally the pigtail to injector 6. the car now runs great except that when it is cold i have to crank it for ove 5 seconds before it fires. once it runs for a few min it turns over immediately but if it sits for more than 10 min it needs to crank for a few seconds first. any help would be appriceated
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There is a possibility that the fuel pressure has to build up when you are starting it. You will want to see first that there is fuel pressure when the key is first turned on and that it holds for at least 10 minutes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before turning the key there is no pressure at the release valve.When I turn the key but don't try to start it the pressure at the realese valve is minimal pressure (a very small squirt then nothing) after starting it is fully pressurized
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like the fuel pump is coming on, (the relay is working) but the pressure is not up to specs until it has run for a little while. That would normally be in the fuel pump, (allowing the pressure to bleed back into the tank)

Fuel Pressure Leak Down Test
Notes

NOTE: Use this test in conjunction with the Fuel Pump Pressure Test and Fuel Pump Capacity Test.

Check Valve Operation
The electric fuel pump outlet contains a one-way check valve to prevent fuel flow back into the tank and to maintain fuel supply line pressure (engine warm) when pump is not operational. It is also used to keep the fuel supply line full of gasoline when pump is not operational. After the vehicle has cooled down, fuel pressure may drop to 0 psi (cold fluid contracts), but liquid gasoline will remain in fuel supply line between the check valve and fuel injectors. Fuel pressure that has dropped to 0 psi on a cooled down vehicle (engine OFF) is a normal condition. When the electric fuel pump is activated, fuel pressure should immediately (1 - 2 seconds) rise to specification.

Abnormally long periods of cranking to restart a hot engine that has been shut down for a short period of time may be caused by:

• Fuel pressure bleeding past a fuel injector(s).
  • Fuel pressure bleeding past the check valve in the fuel pump module.

Test Procedure

1. Disconnect the fuel inlet line at fuel rail. Refer to Fuel Tubes/Lines/Hoses and Clamps for procedures. On some engines, air cleaner housing removal may be necessary before fuel line disconnection.
  2. Obtain correct Fuel Line Pressure Test Adapter Tool Hose. Tool number 6539 is used for 5/16" fuel lines and tool number 6631 is used for 3/8" fuel lines.

graphic

1. Connect correct Fuel Line Pressure Test Adapter Tool Hose between disconnected fuel line and fuel rail (Fig. 8).
  2. Connect the 0 - 414 kPa (0 - 60 psi) fuel pressure test gauge (from Gauge Set 5069) to the test port on the appropriate Adaptor Tool. The DRB III Scan Tool along with the PEP module, the 500 psi pressure transducer, and the transducer-to-test port adapter may also be used in place of the fuel pressure gauge. The fittings on both tools must be in good condition and free from any small leaks before performing the proceeding test.
  3. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.
  4. Observe test gauge. Normal operating pressure should be 339 kPa ±34 kPa (49.2 psi ±5 psi) .
  5. Shut engine OFF.
  6. Pressure should not fall below 30 psi for five minutes .
  7. If pressure falls below 30 psi , it must be determined if a fuel injector, the check valve within the fuel pump module, or a fuel tube/line is leaking.
  8. Again, start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.
  9. Shut engine OFF.
  10. Testing for fuel injector or fuel rail leakage: Clamp OFF the rubber hose portion of Adaptor Tool between the fuel rail and the test port "T" ON Adapter Tool. If pressure now holds at or above 30 psi , a fuel injector or the fuel rail is leaking.
  11. Testing for fuel pump check valve, filter/regulator check valve or fuel tube/line leakage: Clamp off the rubber hose portion of Adaptor Tool between the vehicle fuel line and test port "T" on Adapter Tool. If pressure now holds at or above 30 psi , a leak may be found at a fuel tube/line. If no leaks are found at fuel tubes or lines, one of the check valves in either the electric fuel pump or filter/regulator may be leaking. Note: A quick loss of pressure usually indicates a defective check valve in the filter/regulator. A slow loss of pressure usually indicates a defective check valve in the electric fuel pump. The electric fuel pump is not serviced separately. Replace the fuel pump module assembly. The filter/regulator may be replaced separately on certain applications
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech