sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

How do you reset the keyless entry on a 2006 Dodge Durango?

Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What kind of problems are you having?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have the original key that came with the vehicle, it stopped working to lock/unlock remotely, but still starts the vehicle

i also have a refurb that needs to be programmed

You can probably get the original one working again. Open it up and take a look at the piece that holds the battery to the circuit board. This contact should be soldered to the circuit board in three spots. The most common problems with these keys is the battery hold down will break free and the battery power won't be transmitted to the circuit board any longer. If you remove the battery you can carefully resolder these joints back to the circuit board and normally fix the key without replacing it.

If you have two keys that are programmed and will start the engine there is a procedure to program additional keys yourself. If you do have two keys let me know and I'll give you the procedure. If you only have one key that will start and run the engine the customer programming method won't work (a security feature), and the additional key would have to be programmed using a dealer scan tool.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the battery is securely in place, and it is also new.

may i have the procedure?

Sure!

Put the first programmed key in the ignition and turn it on. Leave the key on between 5 and 15 seconds. I always count off to about 8. Turn the key off and remove it, get it about 2 ft away from the ignition. Immediately put the second programmed key in and turn it on. Watch the round security light in the instrument cluster. when you turn the key on with the second key the light will come on for it's normal bulb check and go out. It will then come back on and start flashing. When it comes back on and flashes remove that key from the ignition and get it at least 2 ft from the ignition. Immediately put in your new unprogrammed key and turn it on, and it will program. The dash will either say that the key is programmed when it's done, or the security light will turn off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have tried many methods found on the internet without much luck, one method has me turn the key to the on position without starting then hold down the unlock button for five seconds and then press the panic button and when i do i hear 1 chime, what is it doing?

That is the procedure to use if you have remote keyless entry only, no transponder chip in the key. If your Durango has the SKIM system with the transponder in the key (expensive key) that method won't work.

If you try to use this new key to start the engine does it work? If the engine starts and dies with this new key then you do have the SKIM system and you would use the method I sent to program the new key.

If you don't have the SKIM system then the other method you mentioned would be the one to use. You said your existing key didn't work however, and if the keyless entry portion of that key doesn't work you wouldn't be able to use that customer program method that you mentioned.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

both keys work to start and drive the car so i assume i do not have the SKIM system,

do you know the complete procedure to reprogram keys without this system?

Get in and close the doors. Fasten the seatbelt so that chime doesn't get in the way.

Put the good programmed key in and turn it on. Don't start the engine, just turn the key on.

Press and hold the unlock button. after holding the button for four seconds press and hold the panic button. This has to happen within 6 seconds of the initial press of the unlock button.

When it chimes release both buttons. Now it's in program mode.

On the new key press the lock and unlock buttons together. It will chime. Within four seconds of the chime press the unlock button again and a chime will be heard. This is telling you the key is programmed.

Turn the key off and you are done.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i can get the car to go into program mode but the key will not take programming

The first step with the new key is to hold the lock and unlock buttons together and it should chime. Do you get this chime?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
It sounds like that new key may not be transmitting or may not be correct for the vehicle. Is it a new unprogrammed key that you purchased? Or was it a used one?

Have you checked the part number on the back to make sure it matches the existing one you had?

If the key is the wrong part number it's not going to work, and if it's a used key it may not work. If it's the right part number key then I would have it checked on a key fob tester to make sure it's actually transmitting. If it's the right one it probably isn't working. You might open up the new one and make sure the battery is there and the solder joints are ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i checked everything over and over and still nothing, well i guess ill take it to the dealership, unless you might be able to suggest a cheaper route

The first thing that is going to need to be done is to check this new key on a key fob tester to make sure it's actually transmitting. If it's not transmitting then this new one is bad and will need to be warrantied. If the key is actually transmitting then it will need to be programmed with a dealer scan tool if you can't get it to go. This will require a dealer scan tool, whether it's at a dealer or an independent shop with dealer equipment (call ahead) There will be a small charge for the labor to program the key. The dealer I work for would charge $21 for this.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they charge 55 per key here in vegas, thanks for your time
Sorry to hear that! Labor rates are definitely higher in a bigger city and I'm in the country. We charge .3 hour which works out to be $21. This is for one new key or 8.

Good luck with your Durango!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah, it would probably be cheaper for me to send the two keys to you one at a time, oh well thanks again =D
You're welcome, and good luck! Have a great night!