Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified for 10 years, Been working in Dodge Dealerships since 1992

2003 dodge: 4wd..oil pan..oil pump..I have cross member off and bolts

2003 dodge ram 4wd hemi

I am trying to get my oil pan off so that I can change the oil pump. I have cross member off and bolts out of motor mounts. I have the engine jacked up about 1.5 inches. There is something inside the oil pan than is keeping it from coming off, can you help me? Also I am beginning to wonder if the transmission will need to be unbolted to slide it back to make room for the pan to come off. Can you tell me what I need to do at this point.

By the way I am assuming the oil pump is bad. It lost pressure last night (according to the guage). The engine began to click and knock so I stopped and towed it home. This morning when I cranked it to pull it into my garage it knocked right when I cranked it but the stopped after a few seconds. I am hoping the engine is not damaged. What do you think.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.

In order to remove the oil pan, the torque converter cover will need to be removed. The oil pan is actually hitting the oil pick up tube, you will need to remove that. Remove the dipstick from the tube also. The transmission does not need to be removed or loosened to remove the pan.

You will find the directions below:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Install engine support fixture special tool # XXXXX Do not raise engine at this time.
  3. For 2WD vehicles, Remove both engine mount to frame through bolts.
  4. For 4WD vehicles, Loosen both left and right side engine mount bracket to mount bolts, and remove the lower bolt on each side. The upper hole in the engine bracket is slotted.
  5. Remove the structural dust cover (1). (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/ENGINE BLOCK/STRUCTURAL COVER - REMOVAL)
  6. Drain engine oil.
  7. Remove the front crossmember(Refer to 13 - FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/FRONT CROSSMEMBER - REMOVAL) .

CAUTION: Only raise the engine enough to provide clearance for oil pan removal. Check for proper clearance at fan shroud to fan and cowl to intake manifold.

8. Raise engine using special tool # XXXXX to provide clearance to remove oil pan.
  9. Remove the nuts from the transmission mount to crossmember.
  10. Using suitable transmission jack, raise the transmission approximately 3 inches off of the crossmember.

NOTE: Do not pry on oil pan or oil pan gasket. Gasket is integral to engine windage tray and does not come out with oil pan.

11. Remove the oil pan mounting bolts using the sequence above, and remove oil pan.

NOTE: The double ended oil pan studs must be installed in the same location that they were removed from.

12. Unbolt oil pump pickup tube and remove tube.

NOTE: When the oil pan is removed, a new oil pan gasket/windage tray assembly must be installed. The old gasket cannot be reused.

13. Discard the integral windage tray and gasket and replace.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

how do I remove the oil pik up tube?

is there an alternate way to raise the engine?

whats your guess on the condition of the engine?

Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.

You should be able to tilt the oil pan enough to get to a nut and a bolt for the pick up tube. The nut should be in the middle of the oil pan on the right side. The pick up tube's bolt will be in the very front of the pick up tube where the oil pick up tube goes into the oil pump.

I have done the following to raise the engine: loosen motor mount bolts, loosen transmission mount, raise back of transmission, put a 2X4 under mount or housing, use a block of wood and raise engine, unless you have an engine hoist.

My guess on the condition of your engine is due to your awareness and turning off engine, I believe you did not do serious damage.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can not get the oil pump pickup tube disconnected. I assume it is keeping me from dropping the pan. Someting inside the pan is keeping it from coming off.
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.
The oil pan will get held up by the oil pan baffle plate in the oil pan.