carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified technician, 16 yrs in field
12326834

2001 dodge dakota front brakes are locking up

Category: Dodge
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 4 years ago.

When the brakes lock up, is it both sides?

Do the brake stay locked up?

Does this only occur after you have been driving foir awile?

Please let me know...Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
First time yes both sides

yes

it seems so possibly when in stop and go traffic

What is VERY common on these trucks is brake hose and caliper failures..

What you can do is when the brakes do lock, pull a front wheel off and open the bleeder screw.

If the brake caliper releases and the wheel will turn again, the hose is at fault..

If the caliper does not release and you can still not turn the wheel, the caliper is at fault...

If you are just wanting to be sure that the failure does not occur again, I'd just replace the calipers and hoses.

I have never seen anything else cause this problem on these trucks....

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this last time I released the bleed valve on the caliper it did not release I tapped on it with a hammer it then released after much tapping. you think the caliper is the problem

If you tapped it with a hammer to make it release....Its JUNK....

I'd replace both the left and right calipers and from your diagnosis, you'll be all set...

Thanks, Josh

carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified technician, 16 yrs in field