brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2005 Dodge Stratus: the timing belt broke

I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus and the timing belt broke. I have heard that valve damage could occur when this happens and I have also heard the permenant engine damage could also occur. I would like to fix this myself, how do I go about this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Normally if any damage has occurred it is to the valves and the cylinder head will need to be removed and new valves put in and the head checked for damage. Typically the lower half of the engine is fine and can be reused. The only way to know what damage has occurred is to remove the head for an inspection.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I kinda understand that but I was concerned with some people telling me I may have to replace the engine. That made no sense to me because like you said, at worst case I would think I may just have to replace some valves or look for some used heads. My main question is can you outline for me step by step to get at that timing belt. I don't want to remove the heads unless I have too. I would like to just replace the timing belt and see if the engine makes noise after that. Does this make sense to you?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Makes sense.....here is some information to help:

TIMING BELT AND SPROCKET(S)
REMOVAL - TIMING BELT

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove right front wheel.
  3. Remove belt splash shield.
  4. Remove accessory drive belts.
  5. Remove crankshaft damper.
  6. Remove AC/Generator belt tensioner.
  7. Disconnect generator connections. Remove generator and bracket.
  8. Remove upper and lower timing belt covers (Fig. 110).
  9. Remove coolant recovery container.
  10. Remove right engine mount.
  11. Remove engine support bracket (Fig. 110). CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

graphic

Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until the TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth) (Fig. 114). NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft timing marks to be misaligned.

graphic

1. Loosen timing belt tensioner lock bolt (Fig. 115).
  2. Insert a 6 mm allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley (Fig. 115). Rotate the top plate CLOCKWISE until there is enough slack in timing belt to allow for removal.
  3. Remove timing belt. CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner pulley and bracket must be replaced as an assembly.

INSTALLATION - TIMING BELT

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.

graphic

Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket (Fig. 119). CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

graphic

• Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner (Fig. 120).
  • Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise (Fig. 120) to align marks and take up belt slack.
  •  

graphic

• Insert a 6 mm allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE. The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang (Fig. 121). Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 Nm (220 inch lbs.) . Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock nut is torqued.
  • Remove allen wrench and torque wrench. NOTE: Repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position must be done only during the CLOCKWISE rotation movement. If TDC is missed, rotate a further two revolutions until TDC is achieved. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise as this will make verification of proper tensioner setting impossible.
  •  

graphic

Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position (Fig. 122).

graphic

• Check if the spring tang is within the tolerance window (Fig. 123). If the spring tang is within the tolerance window, the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang is not within the tolerance window, repeat Steps 5 through 7.
  • Install engine mount support bracket (Fig. 110).
  • Install upper timing belt cover. Torque fasteners to 6 Nm (50 inch lbs.) (Fig. 110).
  • Install the lower timing belt cover. Torque fasteners to 6 Nm (50 inch lbs.) (Fig. 110).
  • Install generator and bracket. Connect generator connections.
  • Install AC/Generator belt tensioner.
  • Install crankshaft damper.
  • Install right engine mount.
  • Install coolant recovery container.
  • Install accessory drive belts.
  • Install belt splash shield.
  • Install right front wheel.
  • Connect negative battery cable.
  •  

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,