Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified for 10 years, Been working in Dodge Dealerships since 1992

2000 durango: 5.9L magnum engine..timing marks..timing chain..gears

5.9L magnum engine, 2000 durango, timing marks. I have the timing chain cover off, & I see 2 lines, "notches" in the gears, but I also see what might be dots...which are supposed to be lined up?
The dots need to be pointing at each other. One dot will be on the top of the crank gear and the other dot will be at the bottom of the cam gear.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so the lines don't mean anything? Only pay attention to the dots? I am trying to figure out if I have skipped teeth on my timing chain..
If you are trying to figure out if you skipped teeth, remove number one spark plug and then insert long screwdriver, then turn over engine by hand until the screwdriver is at the very top of the stroke. Then you would be able to see if your timing marks are off. The piston will move the screwdriver up and down and you want the screwdriver at the top of the stroke where the screwdriver won't go up or down.

The cam should be at 6 o'clock position and the crank gear should be at the 12 o'clock position.