Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner

I need to change the thermostat on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500,

I need to change the thermostat on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9 liter, 360 engine. What is the best way? I also here splashing noises when I start the engine inside the cab There is no leaks. What is that issue?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 4 years ago.

The splash in noise is very often air trapped in the hear core . Nothing to be too concerned about at this point but you will need to bleed the air out later . Here's the procedure for replacing the thermostat .

WARNING: Do not loosen the radiator draincock with the system hot and pressurized. Serious burns from the coolant can occur .

Do not waste reusable coolant. If the solution is clean, drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.

If the thermostat is being replaced, be sure that the replacement is the specified thermostat for the vehicle model and engine type.

Factory installed thermostat housings on 3.9L V-6 or 5.2/5.9L V-8 engines are installed on a gasket with an anti-stick coating. This will aid in gasket removal and cleanup.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Drain cooling system until coolant level is below thermostat. If not equipped with air conditioning, proceed to step number 4.
  3. If equipped with air conditioning:

Support Bracket-Generator Mounting Bracket-To-Intake Manifold-Typical

(a)Remove the support bracket (rod) located near the rear of generator.
(b)The drive belt must be removed.
(c)The generator must be partially removed.
Remove the two generator mounting bolts. Do not remove any wiring at generator. If equipped with 4WD, unplug the 4WD indicator lamp wiring harness (located near rear of generator).
(d)Remove generator. Position generator to gain access for thermostat gasket removal.
WARNING: Constant tension hose clamps are used on most cooling system hoses. When removing or installing use only tools designed for servicing this type of clamp, such as special clamp tool (NUMBER 6094). Snap-on clamp tool (NUMBER HPC-20) may be used for larger clamps. Always wear safety glasses when servicing constant tension clamps .

CAUTION: A number or letter is stamped into the tongue of constant tension clamps. If replacement is necessary, use only an original equipment clamp with a matching number or letter.

1. Remove upper radiator hose clamp. Remove upper radiator hose at thermostat housing.
  2. Position the wiring harness (behind the thermostat housing) to gain access to thermostat housing.

Thermostat-3.9L V-6 Or 5.2/5.9L V-8 Gas Engines

1. Remove thermostat housing mounting bolts, thermostat housing, gasket and thermostat. Discard old gasket.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I bleed the air out of the heater core?
Remove the radiator cap and be sure the nose of the truck is slightly higher than the rear let the engine running and warm up and as the water circulates through the system the air will escape through the radiator
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience: 30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner