David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

dakota: 3.9l just cranks, wont start..parked..P Done code on odometer.

Customer Question

MY 01 Dakota 3.9l just cranks, wont start. I did when I parked it 2 days ago. P Done code on odometer. Any ideas? It is getting spark to the distributor cap. I changed the cap and rotor, no help. I sprayed staring fluid into TBI to see if it was a fuel problem, still didn't fire.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 6 years ago.
I noticed that you said you are getting spark at the distributor cap, did you see if you are getting spark at the plugs?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
David, Yes it is getting spark out of the distributor cap, albeit weak. I also hooked up my OBDII code scanner and no DTC stored.
You could have a problem with the crankshaft position sensor. That has been a problem area before. If you have fuel and spark and it still doesn't run, it could be because the computer doesn't know when to supply the spark at the proper time. Does your scanner show any data?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, it says no trouble codes stored. Is there a way to test the CPS?

You need a lab scope to test a CPS because of the design. A faulty sensor will not set a code since the engine will not run. Here is a diagnostic chart for a no start like you have.

Take a look at it and see what you can find. Hope it helps.