Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

dodge ram 1500: i

Customer Question

how do i fix code 320 ignition/distributor engine speed input circuit
98 dodge ram 1500 v6 2wd
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

You have an issue with the crankshaft sensor.

P0320 is loss of crank signal

P1391 is intermittent loss of crank sensor signal, both related

Most likely needs a new crankshaft sensor or possibly has poor connection at the connector.

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 3.9L/5.2L/5.9L ENGINES

REMOVAL

The sensor is bolted to the top of the cylinder block near the rear of right cylinder head Crankshaft Position Sensor

.

1. Remove the air cleaner intake tube.
  2. Disconnect crankshaft position sensor pigtail harness from main wiring harness.
  3. Remove two sensor (recessed hex head) mounting bolts Crankshaft Position Sensor
  4. Remove sensor from engine.

INSTALLATION

1. Position crankshaft position sensor to engine.
  2. Install mounting bolts and tighten to 8 N·m (70 in. lbs.) torque.
  3. Connect main harness electrical connector to sensor.
  4. Install air cleaner tube.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

could this senser cause the vehicle to run very poor untill driven and warmed up about 15-20 min in morning/ not as long, in the afternoon. once warmed up runs very well but my gas mileage is 10 mpg. i also should have mentioned that i parked this truck about 7 months ago and when i ran it this problem was there but not when i parked it not sure if that maters or not

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
I don't think that parking it had anything to do with it, but the poor fuel mileage could have been caused by it. If it had an errattic signal than there were misfires happening that would definately hamper your fuel mileage. It would also be a good idea to make sure that the Engine coolant temp sensor is operating correctly since it runs poorly cold, but gets beeter after warmed up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is this a easy part to replace and if this doesnt fixit is there any other things it could be
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

With the codes you have being so specific, this should take care of it. If you still have issues, don't hesitate to contact me again.

Tom