Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP
Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?
Do we have all of our reference voltages to the cam and crank sensor and the tps with the key on?
Any codes in the computer?
no codes in computer when i bypass to crank i do have rpm goes up to 100 ish
Ok... turn the key on and check for voltage at the tps and cam or crnak sensor. Lets be sure that the computer is not being shorted out.
If all checks out ok, I can pull you a wiring diagram of the starting circuit and we can pinpoint the problem.
i will check those tommorrow
there is also a red dot above check engine that is flashing
check engine light is on because it is in check mode because wont start no codes
i have starting diagram from alldata
power is at ecu pin 31 in the start position
Double check the cam and crank sensor and the tps
Let me know!
while jumpering the starter relay through starter solienoid
fuel pump energizing when turn key on
tps .64 with key in on position
map 4.4 key on
buro 94 key on
auto shutdown relay on while jumpering to crank
red dot above check engine light flashing 1 sec interval
p1685 when jumpering starter relay
thanks for the help let me know
p.s. no power to fuel injectors
SO the code is from you jumpering the relay?
No power to injectors? Do we have power to the coil?
1. Check if another key works. If yes, the first key is faulty.
2. If all the keys do not work, a DRB III scan tool is needed to diagnose problems with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS).
Potential Causes: Defective Ignition KeySKIS
P1685 Smart Key Immobilizer Module Invalid Key
A theft attempt may have occurred.Obtain the correct key and attempt to start the vehicleDo a PCM Reset function to clear the code after engine startup
we only have one key and the customer says they only have 1 key
this car worked fine then when cranking because the t belt broke
we through a belt on and was seing if the valves bent which they did and in
checking we starting having this problem we since replaced engine and starter
still have problem
we have a snap on scanner solus if that helps thanks
what about the cranking
shouldnt the car try to start
thanks again for your time your helping alot
YES... it should!
DO you need a wiring diagram for the starter?
the customer wants his car and we are confused maybe send me a starting diagram
we just wonder if the computer is smoked
Well, we can sure investigate!
Here is a wiring diagram. The relay should have two powers going into it with the key on.
ok we do so why wont it crank
the computer must be telling it not to crank or to give fuel
while trying to start the tan wire at the ecu pin 31 is not going to ground
to engage starter solienoid
also if you can help me in saving some money out of my pocket i will
put some extra money in yours thanks
Not a problem.
SO you are saying if you turn the key on and ground this wire at pin 31 at the ecu the engine will crank over....correct?
yes will crank have fuel pressure but no injector pulse
Well, it can be a bad computer, security system activated or a sensors that is shorted out.
1. Check the 5 volt reference at the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the 8 volt to the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor. If any of the sensors short out, the PCM will not operate correctly.
2. Check the Brown/Yellow wire at pin 76 for a ground when in park. This wire goes to the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS).
3. If the 5 volt reference and the 8 volt power supply are OK, and the Brown/Yellow wire is grounded, the PCM is bad.
Shorted Camshaft Position (CMP) SensorShorted Crankshaft Position (CKP) SensorPowertrain Control Module (PCM)Shorted Wiring Tests/Procedures:
1. Check the power to the starter relay on the Yellow wire in the start position.
2. Check the ground to the relay on the Tan wire on pin #31 of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the key turned on.
3. Check the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) input to the PCM on pin #76 Brown/Yellow wire. It should be grounded in park or neutral.
Ignition SwitchPowertrain Control Module (PCM)Starter RelayTRSWiring
i going to go out to the garage and check this stuff
if it is a computer and i get a used one do i still need to go to the dealership
or will it work
Here is another no crank Tests/Procedures:
1. Make sure the customer is using a Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) key with a gray end on it. If not, they need to use the correct key in order for this system to work properly. Make sure there are no other keys on the key ring that have transmitters in them. Make sure the mobile speed pass is not on the key ring, as these are known to interfere with the operation of the SKIM system.
2. If the correct key is being used, try another key to see if the problem continues. If it does not, the original key was the problem, so replace it with a new key and have it programmed by the dealer.
3. Test for fault codes in the SKIM system. Most aftermarket scan tools will not be able to access this module. The factory scan tool, DRB3, will most likely be needed for this.
Potential Causes: Defective KeyIncorrect KeyPowertrain Control Module (PCM)Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM)Wiring
thanks i got it figured out
the customer gave us another key and it fired right up thanks again
Glad to hear its all fixed!