Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience

Average cost of transfer case replacement for 2004 dodge durango?

Customer Question

what is the average cost of transfer case replacement for 2004 dodge durango?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.
Hello, can you tell me what engine and transmission the vehicle has, or provide me with your vin number so I can look up the info for your vehicle. Also, are you looking for installation of a new transfer case, a used one, or having this one rebuilt, if you're wanting it rebuilt what is the problem you're replacing it for?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
5.7L Hemi. Would like to have this one rebuilt, was stuck in snow while trying to get out driveshaft starting makin loud noise now vehicle will only go in 4lock, does nothing in 4 low or awd.
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.
Ok, without tearing down the case and inspecting it I can only go off of my best guess as to what it'll need. Since it'll only move in 4 lock I would assume you'll need a new viscous coupler, which runs approximately $700 for the part alone, I'd estimate another $300 in misc parts, so you'll likely be in the neighborhood of $1000 in parts, with 5 hours of labor to remove and overhaul the case. So, expect in the area of $1500 to rebuild the case.

If you wanted to install a used or remanufactured transfer case it would be approximately 2 hours or labor, plus the cost of the transfer case.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.