Stonyman
Stonyman, Ase Master Technician
Experience:  Certified Ase Master, 23 years exp. Pa state and emissions lic. Specializing in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep
22395976

2007 DODGE NITRO 3.7L, TICKING NOISE, RIGHT HAND SIDE OF ENGINE,

Customer Question

2007 DODGE NITRO 3.7L, TICKING NOISE, RIGHT HAND SIDE OF ENGINE, TIMING CHAIN LOOSE, LASH ADJUSTERS NOISY, LEFT SIDE OF ENGINE IS QUIET, 60-80 PSI OIL PRESSURE. OIL CLEAN.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Stonyman replied 7 years ago.

Hi. Here's a picture of the timing chain system. There are two tensioners that can go bad and cause a ticking type problem. Have seen both go bad at one time or another. I checked for bulletins for this and there are none.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I HAVE REPLACED THE TENSIONER, DID NOT REPAIR THE PROBLEM
Expert:  Stonyman replied 7 years ago.

Both, there are two? Did you release the tensioner to apply pressure? Are the guides ok, any broken guide bolts?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I DID REPLACE BOTH TENSIONERS, THE GUIDES ARE ALL IN TACT AND LOOK GOOD, SEEMS AS IF THERE IS NO OIL PRESSURE TO THE RIGHT SIDE, BUT THE OIL PASSAGES ARE SEPERATE TO THE TENSIONERS AND TO THE LIFTERS.

AND YES, I PULLED THE PINS TO RELEASE THE ADJUSTERS.............

Expert:  Stonyman replied 7 years ago.
You most likely have a restriction in that lube circuit on the right side of the head. The oil pressure spec at idle is:
Oil Pressure:
  1. Curb Idle - 25 kPa (4 psi) minimum
  2. 3000 rpm - 170 - 758 kPa (25 - 110 psi)

The tensioner is not fed by a lube circuit. When you set the timing up and pull the pin for them all should be tight.