David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

2005 dodge ram 1500 transmission codes p0700, p0841. Column

2005 dodge ram 1500 transmission codes p0700, p0841.

Column shifter moves into place, but the truck won't move. I can sit in "D" or "R" all day long pushing the gas and all I'll get is a revving engine.

What do I need to do to fix this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 7 years ago.

The code P0841 is for -LR PRESSURE SWITCH RATIONALITY. The P0700 is a general notice that there are codes in the TCM. To get to those codes you will need a scan tool capable of reading the TCM. Most aftermarket scanners are not capable of doing that and you will need a professional scanner.

The P0841 means that there may have not been enough pressure to perform a shift, there may be an electrical issue causing no shift to take place or a few other items such as a failed PCM. Most likely this will not be an easy repair but the very first thing to check would be fluid level.

After that you will need to find out what other codes are in the TCM because some codes can lead you in the wrong direction without knowing everything that is going on. Most likely you are going to need to drop the pan and inspect for pieces.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I've checked the fluid level (good) and the shift cable seems fine (the truck starts in only the park and neutral positions, not in any other). I don't notice anything dangling where it shouldn't be dangling. I did a little research last night and found a service bulletin about the same sort of thing (throwing codes 0700, 0841 and a few others) that claimed the repairs were to change the sump filter and the cooler return filter. The diagram is pretty straightforward, but I can't find "sump filter", "transmission sump filter", "cooler return filter", or "transmission cooler return filter" anywhere online to buy. Are these special types of filters that I need to change or is there only the one general transmission filter? Thank you for your help.

The sump filter is a spin on cartridge style filter.

Number 2 is where it is located. Don't have a good side view. Take a good look at the valve body when you drop the pan. Have seen the plate that holds the accumulator pistons break and cause a no shift condition, although usually it is a 3rd gear problem.