david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines

2003 dodge: 5.9 cummins..I had some injector problems at 110,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins. I had some injector problems at 110,000 miles. I put rebuilt injectors in myself but did not know that you were suppose to put new injector tubes in. The problem I've been having since about 120,000 miles is the truck takes a little longer to start than normal and dies sometimes while idling. It also dies at low rpm's just as you get back into gas after decelerating in gear. It also dies sometimes when you just simply put it in gear. I had three codes on the engine: a p0480,p0483, and p2509 i found that one was a intermitent voltage to pcm, so i bought new batteries being that it still had factory ones. This did not help anything. The truck also has a rolling idle. We have had alot of snow this year and for some reason all the symptoms described are worse after driving in snow. I check, cleaned, and used dielectric grease on pcm conections. I've used this site before to diagnose the injector problem so hope you can help with this one. Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david replied 6 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

P0480 Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit Malfunction
P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality Check Malfunction
P2509 ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent

Lets start with the P2509, this is a vary common problem with the 03 cummins. There is a vary easy fix to it, A bad ground at the intake heater Is the # XXXXX cause of this code along with in some cases causing stalling because the computer sees a power drop this causes the computer to stop the engine.

Check the ground wire on the side of the intake heater remove and clean both the wire connector and the intake heater.

This is a pic of my intake air heater this is with the air tube off but hope you get the idea.

Now As for the fan speed issue, (P0480, P0483) check the wires going to the engine fan. I have read a few cases where they get pulled apart. Also check that the fan clutch is in working order.

I would worry about the P2509 first it could be the ground condition that caused this.
Fix the P2509 bad ground then clear the cods and drive around if the fan cods cum back we can go from there.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do i need to clean the grid on the intake heater? I clean the conections on the wire and also the intake and grid heater bolt. My boss cleared the codes. Drove the truck the ten miles home and it died at lest six times on the way. It happens the most just as i get back into the throttle, or put it in gear at idle. The truck also surges and has done so for a while. I thought it may be due to the 75 horse injectors that were instaled. No codes come up on the trucks computer yet?

Expert:  david replied 6 years ago.
Have you checked the fuel pressure. Also have you replaced the fuel filter.

Something you did not mention when you replaced the injector. Did you replace the stock left pump? If not this could be the reason for the low fuel pressure, Because there is not enough fuel getting to the injection pump.

This is sounding like a fuel problem other then a computer problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No one seams to have the right tools to check the fuel pressure in this little town. There are still no codes on the computer yet, is there a way i can check the lift pump with limited gauges? I will accept you help thanks for your time. One more thing, what would you try next if the lift pump is working?

Expert:  david replied 6 years ago.
I under stand diesel fuel pressure gages are not cheap because if how high the line presser can be also you can only use them for diesel engines.

Will if you have a way of swapping your lift pump with one from a truck that you know is working this will tell you if yours is good or bad.

If the lift pump is good you should look at the injection pump or the injectors or fuel line. being clogged or not allowing enough fuel to the injectors causing air bubble to form air is bad.

The problem is hard to find but after finding it and fixing it you will thing how easy it could have been lol.