kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan: grinding noise..the passenger side..bearing

Customer Question

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan--when I make a left (counterclockwise) turn I hear a grinding noise on the opposite (passenger or right) side. It sounds like it is coming from the center area of the vehicle, approximately from lower part of the passenger side sliding door area. It is definitely not coming from the front CV joint or from the rear bearing--both were replaced without any change to the noise. The brakes also have been checked and the tires replaced. The noise seems slowly to be getting worse, and now possibly most of the time at a lower level when I go straight (it definitely gets a lot worse with a left turn). With a clockwise (right) turn (i.e., opposite direction) there is no noise. There is nothing rubbing. The vehicle was hit in the front passenger side before I purchased it and I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  kalamykid replied 6 years ago.

I need to know what engine you have please?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
3.8 L. engine
Expert:  kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
The only thing on the right side of your van that could make a grinding noise would be the brakes or the engine hitting the unibody. Have you had the motor mounts checked? Have you removed the rotor to see if there are any "rub" marks from the caliper or backing plate?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The brakes work fine and the noise is not associated with stepping on the brakes. I will check to see if the engine hits the unibody, but the noise does not sound like its from the engine area. Sometimes now it sounds more continuous, but does definitely get worse with a left hand turn.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
It can still be the rotor rubbing the backing plate or the caliper. If the bearing is bad it will allow the rotor to have to much movement and contact the backing plate or the caliper.