Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

2004 Ram 1500: it has a 5.7 hemi..ticking noise..seafoam..lifter

I have a 2004 Ram 1500, it has a 5.7 hemi. The engine has a ticking noise, the ticking quit for about a week after I added some seafoam to the oil but it now stop. lifter? push rod? how hard and costly to repair?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. I have heard this before and it has always been a lifter problem. You will need to remove the right valve cover to determine which one it is. The cylinder head will need to be removed to do this. As far as cost, parts will not be too much (gaskets and the lifter itself) probably around $200.00. But labor will be about 5 hours or so. So based on a rate of $100.00, labor will be around $500.00. So the total should be around $750.00.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Case Number916903536
Vehicle IssueTick Noise From Upper Engine Area.;Noise is isolated to the valve cover area of the engine when using a stethoscope. Removed valve cover and inspected hydraulic valve lifter. Lifter is spongy or has excessive lash.
System or ComponentClick,Tap,Tick;Customer Concern (No DTCs),Repair Procedure;Tappet / Hydraulic Lifter;upper;Yes - Continuously
RecommendationReplace the faulty hydraulic lifter.
Modification Date03/09/05 4:16 PM

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech