Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

My 1998 Dodge Dakota v6 just shuts off with no warning. Sometimes

My 1998 Dodge Dakota v6 just shuts off with no warning. Sometimes it starts with ease, sometimes it starts and shuts off and sometimes it will not turn over. It is very intermittent. However it tends to stall more often when I come to a stop as opposed driving on the freeway. It has stuttered on the freeway but never stalled. It has stalled on local roads. I have a new battery, cleaned the fuel injection system and have new spark plugs. I also have replaced the ecm sensor (I think that is what it is called). The only other thing my mechanic says it needs is a new neutral safety switch. I have read in a few places that maybe it is the PCM brain. The big problem is that because it is an intermittent the mechanic has not seen it happen. My truck has 203K miles (really!) and I am the only owner. Other than the random shutting off it runs great.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
1) You are saying that sometimes it starts and shuts off when you try to restart it, what will happen if you slightly press the gas pedal? Do you have to wait for some time in order to restart it?
2) What do you mean by "will not turn over"? Does the starter engage and crank the engine over?
3) Did you replace a Crankshaft Position Sensor?
Please reply back to this thread.

Edited by Vladgmru on 1/29/2010 at 10:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1) It turns over like a healthy car with an engine rev, but will then shut off. Even if I press on the gas pedal. when it stalls or has the starting issue. I push down on the gas and it is like it is not getting any gas. I could floor it and nothing will happen. It some times helps to pump the peddle when it starts to chug. It will suddenly re-engage power and start getting gas again.
2)The times it will not turn over it sounds kinda like a car that is out of gas or when a battery is dead. The starter seems to click fine.

Sometimes when it dies it will turn right over when I restart other times I have to sit there until it feels like running again. Sometimes if I let it sit for an hour it will turn over and run just fine like nothing is even wrong.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
Thanks,
It seems to be a fuel pump issue. It is possible that sometimes the fuel pump does not supply enough fuel to the injectors so the engine may try to start but will then shut off.
It will be a hard to catch problem because it is intermittent.
To be sure that it is indeed the fuel pump failure, you will need to check for fuel pressure at the moment the problem exists, but it requires using some testing equipment ( a pressure gauge and adapters).
I also think about an ignition system issue, but if it was a crank sensor issue, it wouldn't even try to run.
I would start with the fuel pump checking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My mechanic says that the pressure in the fuel pump tests normal. Have you ever seen one run intermittently?
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
I have seen a lot of fuel pumps working intermittently.
Your mechanic should check for fuel pressure when the problem exists( when it stalls and won't restart etc).
Have you ever had the fuel pump replaced?
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience: I've been working with American made cars since 1992.