sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Sometimes my car will not go over 20 mph. Replaced fuel filter

"Sometimes" my car will not go over 20 mph. Replaced fuel filter and screen in gas tank. Still has problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Let's see what codes are stored turning your engine light on. Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. Don't crank the starter, just off to on. The codes start with a P and have four numbers, there may be more than one stored. Write down any that you see and post them here.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Po522. Oil switch was changed last week. Old one was leaking oil.

That was the only code you saw before it said "p donE"?

Does the trans stop shifting, or is the engine running out of power?

Does it seem like you are hitting a rev limiter and it just physically won't allow you to accelerate any faster?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. We feel that it is not the transmission.
2. seems like you are hitting a rev limiter and it just physically won't allow you to accelerate any faster.
This seems to be the one. That was the only code that we recieved this time.

The car belongs to my daughter and my husband is a heavy truck mech. He used a OBD2 pocket scanner last week and he got the code p0340 plus several words. (misfire, fuel, comp,catlyst, htd cat, evap,02 sensor, 02 heater,)
Monitor status said 4 ready and 3 inc. Hope this helps.

Perfect. The P0340 was the one I was looking for.

P0340 is for the camshaft position sensor. This sensor is mounted to the left end of the cylinder head and runs off a magnet on the end of the cam. It tells the engine controller exactly where the cam is in it's rotation. When the cam signal drops out or isn't clean, the engine controller will impose a low rev limiter, normally in the 2,500 rpm area. This is where your lack of power is coming from.

Cam sensor failures do happen on the 2.0 and 2.4 engines. You could always have a wiring problem, but it's common enough that truthfully I wouldn't do any more than a visual inspection of the wiring if I was looking at one in the shop, and I would go straight to replacing the sensor. If the wiring looks ok, go ahead and replace the sensor with a Mopar part from your dealer (it's cheap and will be far better quality than aftermarket). It's located on the left end of the cylinder head, a three wire electrical connector and two 10mm bolts holding it on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are going to get the part tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help. Is there any way that we can ask for you in the future if we need help on something else?
Thanks again.
You sure can. If you need more help with this problem you can come back and post to this question at any time, even after hitting the accept button. If you'd like to request me in the future on a new question, you can open a question right from my profile page HERE, and it would also be a good idea to ask for me by name too. It would be greatly appreciated!
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist